This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The biting cold and lack of vitamin D around this time of year makes our skin a lot dryer and rougher. The first few weeks back to uni can also be tough; having to get used to waking up early again, and the stress of getting back to work, makes us more prone to break outs, dark circles and our skin generally not looking as good as it usually does. If you feel like your face need a little pick me up, try these easy DIY face masks. They’re 100% natural and consist of ingredients you can easily purchase at your local supermarket:

1) Moisturising honey mask

Honey is an amazing natural moisturiser. It draws in moisture from the air and traps it in the layers of skin that most need it.

How to use: spread one teaspoon of (preferably raw) honey over clean skin. Wait 20 minutes before gently removing the honey with a warm towel, or rinsing with lukewarm water.

To spice it up a bit, add a teaspoon of plain, natural yogurt and a teaspoon of mashed avocado to the honey for a super moisturising, vitamin rich mask. Leave for 30 minutes before rinsing off. Enjoy softer, glowing skin which feels suppler.

2) Soothing oatmeal mask

Oatmeal is great at soothing irritated, itchy skin. It’s also good to use if you have acne prone skin, because it absorbs oil from the surface of the skin, preventing clogged pores and breakouts.

How to use: Add 1/3 cup of oats to ½ a cup of hot water and mix together. Add 2 tablespoons of natural yogurt, 2 tablespoons of honey, and 1 small egg white. Egg whites tighten pores and gets rid of acne causing bacteria. Mix to form a paste and apply onto face. Leave for up to 15 to 20 minutes, then gently rinse off with warm water. Your skin will look and feel smoother and less irritated.

3) Exfoliating sugar and olive oil mask

Exfoliation is important to get rid of dead skin cells and stimulate new cell growth. If your skin complexion is looking dull, and/or you’re suffering from blackheads and outbreaks then try this exfoliation mask.

How to use: mix together ½ a tablespoon of white or brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You can use coconut oil if you prefer. Apply the mask to your face in gentle, circular motions, then leave for a few minutes before washing off with warm water. The sugar will remove the dead skin, whilst the olive oil locks in moisture. You will be left with skin noticeably clearer and brighter.

If you have very sensitive skin, you may want to avoid this mask.

4) Glowing milk mask

Milk has been used in beauty treatments since ancient times. It’s well known that Cleopatra achieved her beautiful, soft skin by bathing in milk. Whilst having an actual milk bath may be a little impractical, an easier way to reap the benefits of milk for your skin is this milk and avocado mask.

How to use: mash up a ¼ avocado until its formed a smooth paste. Add 1 tablespoon of milk and stir until a smooth mixture is formed. Apply the mask onto skin and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water for a fresh-looking, glowing face.

So treat yourself to a night of pampering and whip up one of these masks to do your skin a favour!

khadeeja saleem

Aberdeen '19

3rd year English literature student
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.