Style > Beauty

Looking After Yourself At Uni: The best French beauty products at your local pharmacy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Regardless of whether you’re a squeaky-clean fresher or a returning student, we’re at that time of year where our bodies are slowly readjusting to student life and the change of weather. With bouts of ‘freshers flu’, downing jägerbombs/tequila/your choice of poison on nights out, stress over upcoming assignments and opting for fast food, your skin and hair can unfortunately take a hard hit. On the bright side, I’ve rounded up some of the best inexpensive French skincare products that you can grab easily from your local pharmacy. After trying these pick-me-ups, your body will thank you.

1) Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water 250 ml – £10.80

Quite possibly the BEST micellar water on the market, Bioderma’s gentle makeup remover sits on the bathroom shelves of nearly all models, makeup artists and beauty-addicts. This fine emulsion can be used without additional water and removes virtually all traces of makeup, which means there are no excuses for falling asleep with a full face of makeup! All you need are cotton rounds­ and you’re set.

2) Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk – £8.00

Raise your hand if you’re one of those people (like me) that leave everything to the last minute. This can result in not having enough time to wash your locks on certain evenings, and worst of all, prior to events where you know photographs will be taken. To combat any signs of greasy hair, this dry shampoo is an absolute live saver. Not only does it literally mattify that shine so your hair looks way fresher, it has a far more natural and pleasant smell than other dry shampoos. Girls with darker hair can also choose the tinted version.

3) Nuxe Rêve de Miel (Ultra Nourishing Lip Balm with Honey) – £9.50 I personally use this lip balm every night before sleeping, and I wake up with the softest, plumpest lips every morning. It works to prevent dry and chapped lips, so it’s wonderful if you’ll have the central heating on throughout the winter. Although this doesn’t replace the best hydrator on this planet – water, drink lots of it! – it will give you a visible result and you won’t be able to stop touching your lips. Plus, it smells heavenly. 

4) La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo+ 40ml – £15.50

University can be a huge stressor, triggering all sorts of skin problems and acne that you may not have experienced previously. The answer to tackling hormonal/bacterial acne is this wonder product that is talked about everywhere. It’s a gel that you apply all over your face, acting as an intensive spot-targeting corrector. You’ll wake up the next morning with your acne drastically smaller, or even gone in most cases!  

5) Avène Thermal Water Spray 150ml – £7.00

If you haven’t tried misting your face on a dry day, then you’ve probably never really felt a true skin resurrection. Most tired-looking, flaky, or super oily skin is a result of simple dehydration, and sometimes all your skin needs is an extra booster in addition to the 2-3 litres of water you should drink everyday. Take this out whenever your skin feels tight or sluggish, mist this incredibly hydrating product over your face, and prepare to feel like a queen. Yaaaaaaas girl!

Liz is a 22 year old English Literature student at KCL. She currently resides in Hampstead with her boyfriend, and has a tabby cat named Luna. Liz loves French New Wave cinema, 90's shoegaze music, floral design and hoarding beauty products. You'll probably catch her in a quiet bookshop with a hot chocolate, dreaming at a Curzon cinema or feasting at a dim sum joint in Chinatown.  
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.