toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Halloween Films for Your Inner Witch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

That exciting time of year has finally arrived again – getting to dress up in wild costumes with your friends, frightening yourself half to death with the newest horror flicks, throwing fantastic parties and staying out until the early hours. Halloween never fails to lose its charm, whether you celebrated it during your childhood by trick-or-treating, or YouTubing the best Halloween makeup tutorials today.

However, if you’re keen on avoiding the scare-fest of grizzly horror films this year, and you’d rather harness your inner witch powers instead (crazy cat ladies rejoice!), then here are the best films to marathon this Halloween.

1) Hocus Pocus (1993)

An oldie but a goldie. Join the adventures of Thackery the black cat and his friends to stop the three witchy sisters from finding a young sacrifice in exchange for their immortality. #Iconic

Running time: 1h 36m

2) Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996)

Originally serving as the pilot for the iconic TV show, Sabrina the Teenage Witch follows sixteen-year-old Sabrina Sawyer who discovers that she is a witch on her birthday. The rest is history.

Running time: 1h 31m

3) The Craft (1996)

The cult film that inspired a generation of teens with its gothic uniforms happens to be yet another 90’s flick – and here we follow the dark tale of four school-girls who practice witchcraft against those who cross them. Mini-skirts, chokers and badassery galore.

Running time: 1h 45m

4) The Love Witch (2016)

A relatively new addition to the witchcraft canon (it was only released last year!), The Love Witch follows the stylistic conventions of the 1960/70’s to tell the tale of a witch who uses her spells to seduce men, for a possible shot at romance. Madness ensues.

Running time: 2h

5) The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

A star-studded cast involving the likes of Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer, Susan Sarandon and Jack Nicholson (and with two Oscar nominations), The Witches of Eastwick remains a cult favourite. Expect fantastic performances, and tons of sass.

Running time: 1h 58m

6) Practical Magic (1998)

What’s not to love about the 90’s, witches and sisterhood? Plus the bond between Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman plays out spectacularly on our screens. The perfect choice if you’re looking for a rom-com this Halloween.

Running time: 1h 55m

7) Bewitched (2005)

Based on the classic 1964 TV show of the same name, we see Nicole Kidman as yet another witch! This quirky film follows the young, blonde and beautiful Isabel as she struggles to conceal her powers in her attempt to live a normal life. Directed by Nora Ephron, so you know it’s going to be super charming and delightful.

Running time: 1h 56m

8) Teen Witch (1989)

Louise Miller isn’t your average sixteen-year-old girl. On her birthday, she discovers she is none other than a witch reincarnate. Using her powers to reinvent herself at school and win over the ‘hot guy’, we can only predict this doesn’t go as expected. Follow Louise and her best buds on their journey of acceptance, love, and sisterhood.

Running time: 1h 34m

9) Harry Potter (any film)

Okay, so technically any of the Harry Potter films count as they centre around witchcraft as well as wizardry. Take your pick from Hermione, Professor McGonagall, Nymphadora Tonks, Bellatrix Lestrange and heaps more, as your favourite witch.

Running time: Various

Honorary mentions + extras!

So I’m aware that I can’t possibly fit everything in the cinematic canon of witchcraft in this list, so we have some extra honorary mentions here as well! They include much-loved TV shows about witches, as well as other iconic female Halloween greats.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch (TV show) [1996-2003]

One of the best TV shows from the 90’s, am I right or am I right? Plus, we all wanted a talking black cat like Salem.

Charmed (TV show) [1998-2006]

This wonderful TV show didn’t just centre on supernatural forces and the fight against deadly foes, but also on unbreakable sisterhood, and romantic love. Strong females FTW!

The Secret Circle (TV show) [2010-2011]

Although nothing can beat the post-feminist 90’s fascination with witches, this modern return to the occult aired on the CW before it was swiftly axed. And we can say that was a real shame!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV show) [1997-2003]

I couldn’t omit Buffy based on the fact that she’s not technically a witch, but she very well could be. Being assigned the role of vampire slayer is no small feat, and for that, a round of applause is well deserved.

The Addams’ Family [various adaptations]

Anyone who denies that they wanted to be Morticia Addams at some point in their life is clearly lying. I mean, look at the level of sass, wit and confidence right there. She gives us unapologetically seductive and gothic witchy vibes and we simply love her for that.

So there you have it! A completely unabridged compilation of our favourite witches on screen. Have a very spooky and festive Halloween – and don’t forget to harness your inner powers, and completely own it! It’s your time, after all.

Liz is a 22 year old English Literature student at KCL. She currently resides in Hampstead with her boyfriend, and has a tabby cat named Luna. Liz loves French New Wave cinema, 90's shoegaze music, floral design and hoarding beauty products. You'll probably catch her in a quiet bookshop with a hot chocolate, dreaming at a Curzon cinema or feasting at a dim sum joint in Chinatown.  
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.