6 TV Shows That Will Distract You From… Well Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The world outside is terrifying sometimes, and sometimes it can be tiring being aware of it all of the time. Here are a few recommendations for times when you need to relax completely, nothing too anxiety inducing (sometimes second-hand embarrassment is excruciating), nothing too ‘thinky’ and everything quietly and easily digestible.

1) Merlin

I’ve been a fan of Merlin for many years and it remains a show I can go back to for relaxing entertainment. The show follows a young Merlin as he meets and subsequently has adventures with the young Arthur Pendragon. Partially adventure and fantasy and partially comedic, the show is a family favourite. If you need a fix of dragons and magic without the stress and intensity levels of Game of Thrones (or just need something to tide you through this hiatus) Merlin is definitely for you.

2) Death in Paradise

The title doesn’t exactly scream a relaxing night of entertainment but, apart from the murder the detectives have to solve, the show is an easy and relaxing watch. With seven series to binge on and hopefully more to come take a holiday from the ugliness of our current climate and escape to the sunshine of the Caribbean where kindly detectives manage to fix every problem and catch every villain. This is a favourite of mine for neatly wrapped up endings along with a wonderfully harmonious cast.

3) Parks and Recreation

If you don’t know this fabulous comedy yet you have sorely missed out. With title music that can’t help but make you feel jolly and relaxed, sweet characters, and guaranteed laughs Parks and Rec is another go to if I’ve had a hard day. For those who don’t enjoy second-hand embarrassment this is a good option, using wit and warm-hearted jokes rather than painfully contrived situations for the most part. Give it a watch, you can thank me later.

4) Endeavour

I do like a good whodunnit it seems, since this is second on the list, but Endeavor is truly wonderful. Focussing on a young Inspector Morse, the show is set in the 60s providing a welcome retreat for those who find technology a little stressful sometimes. Its quiet drama makes for easy watching, Endeavour manages to be intriguing without being edge of your seat drama. Perfect for nights when you don’t need your nerves any more frayed than they are already.

5) The Good Place

Another American comedy with a heart of gold. Witty and heart-warming, here is another comedy that doesn’t overdo the embarrassment. The Good Place deals with the concept of heaven, hell, soulmates, and what it means to be ‘good’ without being overly preachy or guilt-inducing. Fantastical enough to remove you from this terrifying political climate with episodes of only 20 minutes for some quick fix stress relief.

6) Call the Midwife

My ultimate period drama. Female majority cast, the most adorably romantic plot lines and some cute babies to boot. Another quiet Sunday night program that, along with some slightly darker themes, always finds resolution in the power of supportive female friendships. One warning, although I find Call the Midwife mostly heart-warming and sweet, there can be some distressing and sad themes, especially since it deals with pregnancies and births.

I hope you find some of these as relaxing as I find them, especially if you want an escape from the world. Don’t forget, however, if anxieties and stresses get too much that you find yourself needing to escape somewhat too often, help is available, either through the university or through your local GP.  Now go forth and binge watch! 

Hi, I am a second year English student at King's College London focusing mainly on Medieval Literature. I'm also a massive theatre fan, occassional singer, and constant annoyance to my long-suffering flatmate.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.