It’s OK to be Different: An Interview with Kalkidan Amare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at K College chapter.

Sometimes we all get caught up in being the same rather than being ok with being different. A trendsetter is someone who sets themselves apart from the group. It means being different and accepting it and knowing that it is OK. Kalkidan Amare does just that by being a songwriter, singer and artist on Kalamazoo College’s campus. In our interview after performing a sample of some of her music, she talks about the meaning behind it and what makes her different. She also gives words of wisdom to other songwriters and singers on campus. Listen in!

Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science and  French

Hometown: Seattle, Washington

HC KC: What language do you sing in your songs?

KA: It’s my home language, which is “Amarignya” and that is the line that I was using as the chorus. Her name is “Hasiet”, which means joy, and “Hasiet yewongel Birhan” means light of the good news, light of joy, she illuminates goodness is really what that line means.

HC KC: How many years have you been writing now?

KA: To be honest, I’ve always scratched stuff down on my note pad here and there, but probably like two to three years.

HC KC: If you were to tell other singers and songwriters out there any advice, whether it pertain to song writing or where to find their inspiration, what would be your words of wisdom be for them? Where do you find your inspiration?

KA: For me, I know I’ve written a good song when it does me good. It’s not about offering something that is just pleasing to other people. Rather, every time I sing these words, I experience healing. It’s not that it’s a selfish thing, but you know that it’s powerful when it speaks to you personally. If it’s something that is challenging to you and it speaks to you than it will definitely be the same to people who listen to your music.

HC KC: What makes you a trendsetter?

KA: A lot of songwriters say they write out of their emotions and really sad places. I don’t ignore my emotions, but I don’t let my emotions define how I live my life or even how I write my songs. As I said earlier, I am a spirit lead person and so I let a lot of my music come out of that place. It is out of a joyful and an uplifting spirit. That’s where my words and just how I live comes from.

I am a junior at Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Yes there really is a Kalamazoo! I aspires to be the go-to journalist for millennials to stay current with politics, entertainment, performing arts, and pop culture, through a broadcast journalism and social media platform. I believe that I am a true journalist, media, news, and entertainment mogul in the making.