priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

5 Reasons He’s Not The One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JWU chapter.

I’m that girl that listens to everyone’s problems, starting from school issues all the way to relationships. Personally, I love giving advice but somehow I never seem to follow my own. Upon hearing numbers and numbers of similar stores about how their significant others don’t treat them right or they think they’re being cheated on, I thought it’s only right to come up with 5 reasons why they should just…well, leave them. 

So…here’s what I came up with…

1. If he’s mentally draining you, pull the plug!

I say this because there are too many females out in this world that overthink. I mean, come on, what girl doesn’t over think now a days? I sure do. But when it comes to overthinking what your man’s doing or where he’s going, it gets tiring. When he’s constantly playing with your mind and telling you everything you want to hear, it’ll make even the strongest go crazy. If you can’t trust him and you’re constantly looking for reasons why you should snoop around and open his phone or check up on him, I think it’s time you pulled the plug. Relationships are a give-and-take and if the only thing they’re doing is taking, then their not for you. 

2. If you can’t be yourself, be by yourself.

I know speaking for myself, I’m weird, especially with my significant other (when I had one). I used to be weird and be myself around him which is why we had such a good relationship, while it lasted. If you have to be someone other than yourself, that’s a problem. There should always be a depth of connection between each other, whether it’s being weird together or speaking about politics together. Whatever it is, you should be able to feel comfortable being yourself.

Which leads me to my next point…

3. If you’re losing yourself in the relationship, find yourself.

No one should ever feel like they’ve lost themselves in a relationship. Everyday, you should be finding something new about yourself and about each other. You can’t forget that before anyone else, you are yourself. If your significant other is constantly making everything about them and you’re putting them before anyone else, you forget what it’s like to appreciate you and love yourself. If your honey boo boo let’s you become empty and feeds off of you, clearly, he’s NOT the one.

4. Dress to impress! If he can’t match your fly…

Whether it’s dressing down in sweat pants or Kim K-ing it down with red bottoms, you should always reflect off of each other. No one wants a sad wet puppy following them around, now do we? When speaking about matching your fly, I don’t JUST mean articles of cltohings. If he can’t match your mental state, then he’s not the one. If he’s constanly holding you back and you don’t see the ambition you want to see in yourself, you need better.

5. Don’t settle for a slacker.

Always want to grow off of each other and learn from each other. You should want to jump into bigger and better things and take on harder roles. Never settle for anything less than what you deserve. Being with a slacker should never be an option. Someone who has no ambition or motivation will only keep you at your lowest. Remember to reach for success. If your man is sitting on the couch everyday playing video games smoking on some you-know-what, you’ve got to get a stepping.

Additionally, if you’re partner has EVER cheated on you or laid their hands on your in a violent manner, open your eyes, take a deep breath and DO NOT take them back.

There are plenty of fish in the sea and you shouldn’t settle for the goldfish from PetCo.

Hi everyone! I'm Reina Mori and I am a current sophomore at Johnson and Wales University. I currently study Baking and Pastry Arts/ Food Service Management. I am a proud Hermana of Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. I am from New Jersey currently living in Rhode Island! I work at Vicotria's Secret and sadly, I love to spend all of my money there. I have the worlds cutest dog named Bailey. She's an Australian Cattle Dog who LOVES food just as much as I do. A few things I like to do for fun is cooking, playing field hockey, shopping, and being around my friends. A fun fact about me is that I am absolutely terrible when it comes to introducing myself.