Introverts vs. Extroverts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Juniata chapter.

Introverts and extroverts. Everyone is a bit of a combination of the two. Which is better or more common? At a liberal arts school, introverts are apparently more common. I consider myself to side towards an introvert, since I love writing and can be on the quiet side but I am still very social and love being around people. I know some more extroverted personalities who do not even like being around people as much as I do. So, it is difficult to make a call as to which side you are specifically on. The Myers-Briggs personality type indicator is a helpful way to ascertain which type you identify best with.

Extroverts and shy people are similar in that they are used to getting attention. A typical introvert may have the tendency to hold things back and may not always enjoy being in the spotlight. Some people are more okay with this than others. Family situations such as number of siblings and parental genes affect personality too. Only children are used to getting attention because they are not used to having to fight for it. Shy personalities can make you not want to be the center of attention, but also it allows you to be used to receiving attention since shy people tend to stand out. Only children are usually more mature and good at getting attention since they have had to learn to adapt to be around older people and fend for themselves. Upbringing can make a big difference.