This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Why You Should Watch the Mindy Project

Imagine that you’re an OB/GYN in New York City, balancing your personal life, while still trying to fulfill your dreams of finding love with the support of your coworkers and friends. Also, you’re in your mid-30s but live like you’re in your 20s. Has this storyline not convinced you? Here’s why you should watch this Hulu show:

It’s hilarious

Somehow, this show has quickly become one of my favorite shows because of the comedy. From the very first segment of the show, I knew this show would be hilarious. I don’t want to go into detail, so you can just experience it for yourself. Expect comedy from different angles and iconic one-liners.

Romance isn’t sugar coated

Even though Mindy is a hopeless romantic most of the time, the relationships she has with guys are realistic and hits you harder than “typical” love stories do.  I haven’t watched the whole show, so I can’t really spoil it and say “she finds true love!” at the end (even though I’m hoping it’s true). Just know that past exes will come up, just like in real life.

The Guest Stars

James Franco. Seth Rogen. Kris Jenner. Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Actors from Always Sunny. Need I say more?

It inspires you to have confidence

Even though Mindy is constantly ridiculed for her lifestyle, she still keeps her head high. Trust me, some of the stuff she goes through is really embarrassing. But her sassiness and charisma are what makes her move on. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I went through some of the embarrassing stuff Mindy goes through and how my natural reaction would be to crawl into a ball and cry. Although she may do this sometimes, the way she embraces her situations inspires me to believe in myself more.

It’s Mindy Kaling, duh

For those of you who don’t know, she plays Kelly Kapoor in The Office. I’ve never seen The Office, but if you ever wished she had her own spin-off show, now is basically your chance! (Even though it’s not actually a spin-off). She also represents not only women but also women of color. Her feminism is beautiful and it’s incredible to see that she’s actually one of the executive producers. Due to this, she explores plenty of women’s and racial issues. Power to women and POC!

Sofi Portillo (pronounced SOH-fee por-TEE-yoh) is an undergraduate student majoring in Psychology and minoring in Family Studies at James Madison University. She was born and raised in Northern Virginia, but stays true to her family background. From what she knows, all of her family comes from a beautiful country in Central America called El Salvador. Sofi is able to speak, write, and read in both Spanish and English, however, she has taken Latin and American Sign Language classes in the past. Right now, she is learning Italian and hopes to travel there one day. Sofi enjoys playing the guitar and has taken guitar classes in school from 8th grade to 12th grade. She also loves listening to all sorts of music, both live and recorded. She even has her own radio show on WXJM-FM Harrisonburg. Currently, her show "Just Go With It!" plays every Saturday from 4 pm to 6pm, where she plays indie music with her cohosts. If see her around campus, say hello!