Why We Should Stop Obsessing Over Kylie Jenner’s Possible Pregnancy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I have a confession to make: I’ve sort of been obsessing over the fact that Kylie Jenner might be pregnant. For the past month or so I’ve found myself scrolling through Twitter and Perez Hilton trying to piece together every bit of evidence that may prove she’s expecting. Her rumored pregnancy has been the topic for lots of juicy convos with my friends, usually ending with one of us screaming, “Just confirm or deny it already!” But recently I decided to put myself in Kylie’s shoes. If I was pregnant and wanted to keep that fact private until I felt comfortable making the announcement, how would I feel about the internet finding out before I was ready, especially if I haven’t personally told all the important people in my life? And if I wasn’t pregnant, how would I feel about the paparazzi trying to snap a picture of my “bump” every time I go outside? Her body isn’t ours to analyze and pick apart.

There are some serious factors that may influence when a person decides to announce a pregnancy, and this relates to every woman, not just those in the public eye. First, a woman might decide to get an abortion, and in doing so may choose not to announce her pregnancy at any point. Having one’s pregnancy announced before she can make this choice for herself is likely very emotionally difficult. Additionally, a woman may hold off announcing her pregnancy until she is far enough along that her chances of miscarrying are significantly lower. 

Regardless of whether Kylie is pregnant or not, her choice to wait before confirming or denying her pregnancy is, quite frankly, none of our business, and choosing to focus on this rumor overlooks other, more important things going on in the world. 

19-year-old intersectional feminist on a mission to spread love and encourage girls to embrace their sexuality and bodies. Also on the mission to find the most delicious cup of coffee.
Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.