Why Studying Abroad is the Best Decision You Can Make in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I studied abroad this past summer in London, England. It was hands down the BEST experience of my life, nonetheless the best experience of my college career thus far. The people you meet, the places you see, and the memories you make are life changing.

When everyone got accepted into the program, we all had meetings with the advisor and the other students going on the trip. I had no idea this group of people would turn into another family for me. I met some of my absolute best friends on this trip and made relationships that will last a lifetime. The experiences I shared with these incredibly creative people was so unique to any other experience I have had at JMU.

I had a bit of a different experience than most people probably do when they study abroad. With all of the atrocities that happened this past summer in England, I witnessed resilience at its finest. The people of England and my study abroad group would not let the events that happened get us down or stop us from really living while we were there. I could not be more grateful for the people I was surrounded by who were there for all of us.

In my case, I only had class three times a week, so I got to explore the other days. We had weekend trips planned as a part of the trip and had free weekends to travel to other countries. Studying abroad is the best way to see the world. I got to visit five countries in the span of five months. Nothing opens you up more than meeting different people from all over the world. You gain such an incredible new understanding of the world as well as yourself.

I’ve always considered myself to be independent, especially since being at college for the past two years on my own. I gained a whole new confidence on this journey that I never knew I had. Suddenly, I had to start really doing things for myself in a foreign country. Even the smallest things that may not seem like a big deal, such as figuring out the tube and budgeting money brought the absolute best out in me.

If the opportunity to study abroad presents itself to you, then I say to take it! The things that really appealed to me in the beginning were the insignificant things, such as how much more likely you are to get a job when you have study abroad on your resume. While that is still definitely an important thing to consider, you will gain so much more out of this experience than a possible job. You will gain memories, friends, and a place in your heart that you get to consider a second home.

I am a 20 year old Media Arts and Design major with a concentration in Creative Advertising and minors in Music Industry and Communications at James Madison University from Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.