What We’re Tired of Hearing from Our Professors During Sylly Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Sylly week is everyone’s favorite week (besides FrOG week of course). There are parties every night, the workload is at an all time low, and we’re reunited with our college best friends. But the worst part of sylly week? The clichés we hear from all our professors.

1. Their cell phone policy…

…followed by an accusation that we’re all addicted to the device we already silenced and put away before their class. Don’t forget the classic “When I was your age, we didn’t have instabook or facegram…. AND WE LIVED. IMAGINE THAT!!!!!”

2. A looooong list of their credentials:

It’s nice to know you’re being taught by someone qualified, but it tends to just make you zone out and think about what you’re going to do after college, which you still have no idea about. Panic ensued.

3. Getting to know each other games:

Hellooo, this is sylly week. We don’t need to spend 12 years getting to know people we will never talk to again. I just need you to tell me how many absences I can have and send me on my way. It’s only right.

4. Their rule that you should go to the bathroom before their class and not leave the classroom at any time for any reason:

I’m not kidding there are professors that actually do this. This is bad news for the girl who already has plans to show up to her Friday 8 am hungover from Thirsty Thursday.

5. Giving a lecture on the first day:

Nope, no, not happening, no.

Sylly week may be over for the dukes, but at least we have Krispy Kreme to keep us going (and it’s late enough in January that we can abandon our new year’s resolution to eat healthy, right?)

I aspire to be the perfect combination of Beyoncé and Leslie Knope.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.