The Ultimate Guide to Hiking the Shenandoah Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Students of JMU are lucky enough to go to school so close to the beautiful Shenandoah National Park. The park is 200,000 acres of protected land and can be accessed along Skyline Drive. The Swift Run Gap entrance into the park is only about 30 minutes from Harrisonburg, and is an easy drive right down 33. Just put Swift Run Gap into your GPS and it will take you right there! With over 500 miles of trails, there’s plenty to hike and plenty to see.

Overlook along Skyline Drive

Tip #1:

If you’re someone who hikes frequently, consider getting a year pass to the park for only $40. Otherwise, it costs $20 each time you enter the park.

Tip #2:

Get a map when at the entrance. All the different trails and overlooks are on the map, which it makes navigating around Skyline Drive much easier. Follow the mile markers along the road to find the trail you’re going to.

Tip #3:

Look up hikes on https://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm before going to the park. Find a hike that meets your abilities, time budget, etc. Know which mile marker the trailer is at so you know which way to go when entering the park.

Tip #4:

Know what to do if you encounter a bear. Consider buying bear spray and read up on how to act if you encounter a bear on the trails. Shenandoah National Park is known for its population of black bears. Better to be safe!

Tip #5:

Make sure you have plenty of water and a snack with you.

The Best Hikes in the Shenandoah

1. Old Rag

One of the most famous yet strenuous hikes in the park. It cannot be accessed within Skyline Drive. You must park outside of the park boundary near Nethers on Route 600, which is 0.8 mile from the trailhead. Old Rag is a 9.2 mile circuit and will take you at least 7.5 hours. This is a hike you must train for and leave the whole day empty to do.

2. Mary’s Rock

Mile marker 33.5 and a 2.8 mile round-trip hike. Mary’s Rock trail goes along the mountainside and has an incredible view the entire way up. It ends with an incredible panoramic view of the valley.

3. White Oak Canyon

Mile marker 42.6. It is the highest of the Whiteoak Cascades at 86 feet. This trail has a very steep return trip. Beautiful waterfalls.

4. Hawksbill Gap 

The highest peak in the park! There are two options to this trail: Upper Hawksbill which is 2.1 miles and the lower Hawksbill which is 1.7 miles. It is a moderate to strenuous hike but definitely worth it to see the highest peak in the Valley.

5. Dark Hollow Falls

Mile marker 50.7 and a 1.4 mile hike with some steep sections. It goes downhill to the falls and then uphill back. Beautiful waterfalls.

6. Bearfence

Mile marker 56.7 It’s a short 1.2 hike to a beautiful view. Be aware it can be a challenging hike with rock scramble. It’s a perfect hike for a sunset because it is short and leads to a beautiful 360-degree view.

7. Southern Falls

Mile marker 62.8. It’s a beautiful hike along a stream that leads to a tall waterfall. You can trace your steps back or follow the loop around. Both lead back to where you started. Moderately difficult hike.

Get out there and see the beautiful views the Shenandoah National Park has to offer.

Mary’s Rock: Shenandoah National Park

For more information, visit https://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm.

Hello! My name is Jessica Pink and I'm a Media Arts & Design major at James Madison University. My concentration is in journalism and I'm getting a minor in both creative writing and environmental studies.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.