This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Wondering which horror movies on Netflix are really worth your time? Look no further, here are eight top picks that are sure to satisfy your craving this October:

8. Babadook

The boogie man comes alive in this story about a struggling single mother and her high-maintenance son. When a nightmarish story about the Babadook finds its way onto the young boy’s bookshelf, reading it could be the worst mistake this mother ever makes. Featuring the most annoying child you’ve ever seen, this movie will freeze your ovaries and make you thank your lucky stars that you are not his distraught, sleep-deprived mother.

7. Haunter

A teenage girl wakes up one day only to realize that she has been stuck in the same routine day in and day out. There are always pancakes for breakfast, Dad is always working on the family car, her brother plays Pac-Man and Mom always serves meatloaf for dinner. Every day is the day before her sweet sixteen and she is on perpetual house arrest due to the mysterious fog surrounding the house. As she struggles to cope with her situation, strange incidents begin to break the routine. Let’s play a game: Investigate whatever is behind the locked door in the basement or listen to your mother remind you to wash the clothes on cold every single day.

6. The Amityville Horror

When a couple decides to buy a lakeview property, they think that they are about to get the American dream they always wanted. Unfortunately, the horrific history of the house will affect their lives more than they think. Murdered souls trapped in this house are left to torment the living. Blood, gore and trippy inception scenes await you in this remastered film starring our very own Ryan Reynolds and his rock-solid abs. Did I mention there’s a baby Chloë Grace Moretz?

5. Sleepy Hollow

This film is Tim Burton’s tale of the classic Halloween horror story. Johnny Depp plays the part of Ichabod Crane who meets the stunning Katrina Van Tassel (Christina Ricci) in a sleepy little town plagued by a supernatural terror: The Headless Horseman. With sinister plots, a quick history lesson, truly sickening scenes and a flaming pumpkin in true Halloween fashion, this flick is perfect for a chill October night.

4. The Curse of Chucky

A disabled young woman and her mother receive a strange package containing a flame-haired, blue-eyed doll. Later that night, the mother is found dead from a stab wound. While her mother’s death is ruled a suicide, the young woman begins to suspect foul play from the doll. When her sister’s family comes to town, expect to see the bodies start stacking up. Whoever says dolls aren’t creepy has clearly never seen this film.

3. The Uninvited

A young girl is discharged from a psych ward and returns home to her family — only this is not the family she knew before. A fiery accident in the boathouse took her mother from her, and now her father has a new girlfriend: The nurse who cared for her mother. While her father struggles to make his daughter feel at home again, the girl finds out some dark secrets about her mother’s accident and suspects her father’s new girlfriend had something to do with it. This is definitely a killer flick that will make all your hairs stand on end.

2. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

No one can resist Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp as the dynamic duo in this adaptation of the Broadway musical. This particular flick is completely riveting as we follow Sweeney Todd on his journey to sweet, murderous revenge on the man who ruined his life, who just so happens to be played by Alan Rickman. Blood is thick and the meat pies sold on Fleet Street are even thicker, and Todd sure knows how to give the closest shave any man has ever had. Scouts honor: You may not gag, you may not shiver, you may not cover your mouth in horror, but you will find the darkness you desire in this movie.

1. Hush

A deaf writer moves to the middle of nowhere to finish her novel, but someone in a sinister white mask is prowling the woods. With whit, humor and terror abounding, this is not your typical horror film. The actress doesn’t play your typical dumb fluff character running absentmindedly around until she predictably gets stabbed in the throat; no, this girl is brave and she fights back just as I imagine I would do in this situation. And the filming of this movie… it is unlike anything else you’ve ever watched. 100% recommend watching with the lights off and in complete silence (except for the movie obviously). Don’t talk, don’t text and I dare you not to scream.

Welcome! I'm Katelyn, a senior Writing Rhetoric and Technical Communication major at James Madison University. I love cats, sunshine, and popular writing.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.