Tips and Tricks to Survive Your First Tailgate This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As many of you may know, football season is upon us.  For some of us that may mean getting excited to watch JMU dominate in our division, some may plan on only attending the tailgate; some may be preparing to put on an awesome show with the MRD’s.  Whichever category you fall under, I guarantee that you’re in for a great time.  Personally, I live for tailgates and for any of you that haven’t been to a JMU tailgate; I assure you that you’re missing out. 

I’ll be a good friend and give you a step-by-step outline to ensure a successful first tailgate:

Lucky for you kick off is at 6:00, so tailgating will begin at 2:00 this weekend.

Step One:

Sleep in; get your rest because you are in for a LONG day!

Step Two:

Get your brunch on, whether you’re hitting up E-Hall, Billy Jacks, or my personal favorite L&S (cash only, see I’m helping everyone), eat a lot because you’re not going to be eating much else (other than hot dogs, but c’mon not sufficient for a whole day).

Step Three:

Game day apparel!!!! Pull out your JMU football jersey or your favorite “JMU Grandma Tee” (from the clearance section of Outpost of course) and get ready to rumble!

Step Four:

Head over to the tailgate (for me 9/10 times this is walking through the Arboretum on a beautiful Fall day), and BE SAFE!  Don’t carry open containers; do carry your JAC/I.D/Koozie (Koozie’s are very important for the tailgate always bring one, thank me later).

Step Five:

You’re there, now go have fun!  Seasoned tailgaters have their go-to spot (upper convo with my favorite group of guys- shout out to Club Golf), and if you don’t, go find one!  There are so many people and everyone wants to have a good time.  Take pictures, sing songs, dance with everyone, and enjoy yourself!

Step Six:

Many JMU students find this step optional but I think it’s important.  Go to the game!  JMU football is full of incredible talent and we are lucky to be here to witness it for FREE.  Grab your streamers, buy a pretzel, and belt the fight song…. BECAUSE WE ARE THE DUKES OF JMU.

Step Seven:

Grab some Dukes, call and order Tutti’s, I don’t really care what you do at this point besides going home (safely of course, thank you Uber).  You had an awesome day (thanks to me), and now you need some sleep.