rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sun 101: 4 Ways to Protect Yourself This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Did someone say summer?! With only two and a half weeks left of school, a lot of us are already making plans for the upcoming months, while dreading the copious amount of work that we still have left to do (AKA, how am I supposed to write two essays, take four exams, do two projects, AND fit in time to study for finals?). Summer cannot come soon enough for us collegiettes, but in order to stay safe and have fun during break, there are a few ground rules to keep in mind.

1. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! You can never have enough, especially if you’re like me and have fair skin. Even if you never burn and think your skin can handle it, STILL USE IT! The damage later in life that was caused by sun exposure is far worse than being a little less tan than you would like. If you use SPF 25 or 30, you’ll still be able to get plenty of sun while avoiding getting burnt!

Kim Kardashian needs sunscreen, and you do too.

2. Drink plenty of water! Being out in the sun all day can take a toll on your body. Since we perspire more in the heat, our bodies need more fluid than usual to stay hydrated. Take a few bottles with you to the beach, the pool, or wherever you’re going to avoid getting sick from dehydration!

Try one of these super cool Bobble water bottles

3. Manage what you drink. This not only refers to water, but—you guessed it—alcohol as well. When the sun goes down, we still have to be careful. Many collegiates take this time off from school to de-stress from all of the hard work throughout the year, but remembering to manage your intake of alcohol is especially important.  Know what you’re drinking, and, all in all, have fun while still staying smart!

4. Maintain your physical health.  This goes for working out and eating healthy. With UREC so close by here at JMU, it can be easy for us to go to the gym fairly often. While at home though, we can forget to keep our bodies in check without a close gym and the miles of walking we do on campus every day. Even so, try doing laps in the pool or running on the beach—anything to keep yourself active! Clean eating is also key, so swap out that soda for a bottle of water. With these tips, you’ll be able to go back to school in the fall feeling both physically and mentally healthy, as research shows that maintaining a healthy lifestyle correlates with mental ability!

I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.