Stress-Eat the Right Way During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s finals week and you may notice that as your studying increases, so does your snack intake. Don’t let this add more stress to your already stressful week! Snacking while studying is proven to actually help you retain the information that you are studying! That is of course, if you are snacking the right way. Here are a couple foods that will help boost your energy, retain more information and keep off the extra stress-eating calories. 1. Dark Chocolate: That’s right, for all of you chocolate lovers, dark chocolate is actually a great brain food that helps relieve stress and boost your energy level. It provides a vast amount of antioxidants to keep you focused, but make sure you eat it in moderation!2. Berries: Berries have an immense amount of vitamins, antioxidants and other nutrients. They are known as the best brain food out there and they help promote mental activity, as well as boost your energy! The best part is if berries aren’t easy to get in your area, you can buy them frozen and get the exact same benefits. 3. Apples: Just the peel of an apple contains memory enhancing antioxidants and one of the highest amounts of vitamin C found in any fruit. Apples will not only increase your studying skills but will also keep you energized. 4. Nuts: Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, you name it. Nuts have healthy fatty acids that enhance your brain activity. The vitamins and nutrients contained in nuts increase alertness and help you retain information! Just grab a handful of this tasty snack to increase your studying ability. 5. Spinach: Spinach does not sound like an appealing snack, but it is offered at almost every dining hall and is jam-packed with studying benefits. Spinach is a vegetable that “keeps your brain young” with the antioxidants that increase your brain’s health. It is known to be one of the world’s healthiest foods and is one of the best foods to snack on while studying.  

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.