This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Dear Open Letters,

Why are you generalizing your experiences? Each of us is unique and had a story that deserves to be told, not a story that needs to be shaped to relate to the most amount of people. I promise people will still find your story relatable if you personalize it, and it will definitely be more interesting. I get the idea behind open letters, I do, but in reality, the idea just doesn’t work. Writing is supposed to be a form of creative expression, and I don’t think these open letters are a form of that. You could do more as a writer, and I challenge you to reach your full potential, open letters.  

The next time you want to write “An open letter to my best friend,” or “an open letter to my ex,” I encourage you to write a real letter to them. You could choose to send it or you could choose to not. You could choose to publish it or you could choose to not. Tell your story without having to make it relatable. None of us are going to have the exact same story, which is one of the greatest parts of life. You can offer advice without having to do so in an open letter format. Never stop sharing your story, but I just encourage you to do so in an original letter. I know you have the ability to be more and do more, open letters.

Love,

Me

Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy!