Now Trending: JMU Graduation Caps of 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s almost here — graduation. We’ve experienced some of the best times of our lives here at JMU… the ECL RaveSnowpocalypse ‘10… the 21-16 victory over Virginia Tech… and countless others. (Come on. We saw Spring Fest ’10, and we lived to tell about it.)

JMU is a place where many of us learned a lot about ourselves and a ton about others. We’ve met the friends of a lifetime. We’ve encountered some of the most influential professors who pushed us to challenge ourselves. Plus, we’ve had tons of fun.

But I digress… There is only so much procrastination during finals week you can do!

Something many graduating collegiettes haven’t thought about yet is designing their mortarboards or graduation caps. Over the past week, I’ve seen some of my friends post some creative cap ideas online. Here are three ideas from fellow JMU collegiettes:

1. Get creative! Add a personal touch that screams something about your personality and interests.

Whose cap? Meaghan O’Toole
Major: Communication Studies with a Public Relations Concentration

Favorite memory at JMU: “I don’t think there’s one memory that I could isolate as my favorite.
I think above all I’m going to miss the special level of hospitality that JMU has. The genuine kindness of every student and professor here is impossible to overlook. The atmosphere is absolutely my favorite part of JMU, which underlies every other memory that I’ve made here.”

Inspiration for her cap: “I wanted to decorate my cap in a way that was very graphic and visually appealing. I wanted it to stand out in the crowd so that my parents could see me, so I went for the large glittered paw. I also wanted to have something to denote my major, but I didn’t want it to be boring. I decided to hash tag #JMiloveU as homage to my PR degree, while also being a short and simple statement that anyone can appreciate.”

2. Rep your favorite organization. I know many people at JMU that could thank their favorite clubs and organizations for the stellar four years they’ve had.

Whose cap? Casey Bailey
Major: Health Sciences

Favorite memory at JMU: “My favorite JMU memory was when, about an hour before the show, my friend Morgan got my fiancé and I backstage passes to the Phil Vassar concert at the Forbes Center – best impromptu decision we made at JMU!”

Inspiration for her cap: “I’ve been involved in Eta Sigma Gamma, the National Health Education Honorary for three years and it has had such an impact on my life that I wanted to proudly show it off on my cap on graduation day. ESG focuses on teaching, research and service. I feel very proud to be a part of such a unified, goal-oriented organization on JMU’s campus. ESG has led me to challenge myself and take risks. I am a better person because of each and every member.”

3. Keep it simple, yet sweet. Thank Mom and Dad.

Whose cap? Christine Borkowski (that’s me!)
Major: Communication Studies with a concentration in Public Relations

Favorite memory at JMU: While I don’t have a specific favorite memory at JMU, I want to note that these have been four great years of my life. I’ve been surrounded by fantastic and supportive friends and family that helped me get through. My advice? Try anything once (within reason of course), and keep things interesting. Remain positive and goal-driven, and you’re set.

Inspiration for her cap: I wanted to thank my mom and dad for always being supportive of my decisions while adding a bit of flair! It was hard moving six hours away from home in New Jersey, but I’m really glad I stuck it out. I could always call them when I was stressed out and they would tell me it would all get better soon.

With that, I want to thank you, collegiettes, for reading my articles and watching my v-logs. I’d love for you to follow me (@Chrissy_Cecilia) and @HerCampusJMU on Twitter!

Have a great summer, and stay classy ladies!

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.