Nicole Tran ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Nicole Tran is a kind-hearted, spunky young woman with a lot on her plate. If she had to be an ice cream, she says she’d pick mint–and that makes sense considering how refreshing and chill her personality is. Between classes, thinking of grad school, and keeping up with her extracurriculars, this self-described “Carrier warrior” is the ultimate Duke!

Hometown: Fairfax, VA

Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) with Special Ed minor, non-teaching

What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to help with speech therapy for younger, disabled kids. I also just joined NSSHCA, which is like the national organization for CSD.

Why did you choose to rush Alpha Phi Omega (APO)? Well, last year when I came in as a wide-eyed freshman, I just really wanted to grow–you know, be part of an organization that would better me. I loved APO’s values of leadership, friendship, and service, so I rushed right away.

What do you do through APO? I’m a student teacher with the Salvation Army, which is really fun because I get to hang out with the kids. I also get to volunteer to help with Special Olympics volleyball.

What do you like most about APO? The variety of people! Everyone’s so different.

So, you were a FROG last semester. How was that? Insane! So crazy–but rewarding. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You’re up at 5 a.m. every day, so I got maybe 2 hours of sleep each night. But it was always worth it!

What challenges did you face as a FROG? Well, of course you want the kids to like you. You want them to feel like they can come to you for anything during the year. That’s definitely the most important part.

Any advice for kids who want to apply? Do it! Everyone should apply. You don’t have to be an out-going, loud, extrovert. There are quiet, homesick kids who need a hand, and quieter FROGs are perfect for that.

If you were to describe yourself in 3 words, what would you say? Am I allowed shambly? Yeah, shambly, optimistic, and fun-loving!