Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Managing Long Distance Relationships in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Managing relationships in college on top of school work and extracurriculars is tough, but adding long distance into the mix makes things even harder. I have personal experience dealing with long-distance relationships with my boyfriend living four hours away from me and my best friend going to school across the country. These two are some of the most special people in my life, so staying connected to them is important to me. I know there are many of you out there in similar situations, so this is why I’m sharing four key pieces of advice that have worked to keep my relationships going strong.

1. Stay positive. See this as an opportunity for each of you to grow rather than sulking about missing each other. Don’t let the distance hold you back from making the most of your situation.

2. Make them feel loved. Remind them of how important they are to you even though you can’t be with them all the time. Everyone wants to feel appreciated and sending someone a quick text telling them that they’re on your mind can easily make their day.

3. Communication is key. Call them! Check in and stay updated on their life. It’s nice to know that someone is there for you, even from miles away.

4. Realize how precious time is when you’re together. After spending so much time apart, there is nothing more refreshing than being reunited with the ones you love.h

Hopefully this advice will make things easier for both you and whoever you’re missing!

School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.