Magi Linscott ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: Magi Linscott

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Pace, Fl

Major/minor: Public Policy and Administration

Relationship status: Single

What made you want to spread tobacco awareness? 

My grandmother started smoking at the age of eleven. At age 62, she passed away due to complication with COPD. I decided that nobody deserves the same fate my grandmother suffered.

How did you kick start your campaign? 

It all started when selfies became a huge cultural force. With the help of Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT), we decided to harness the power of selfies to enact social change. We wanted youth to tell the Tobacco Industry that they are not a replacement to the half a million people who die each year in the US due to smoking. Youth around the country made their voices heard by expressing their individuality through “selfie statements” with the words “I am Not A Replacement, I am_____.” People are encouraged to use whatever word they choose.   How would you say your selfies help fight the use of tobacco? 

I think the campaign really focuses on positivity. This positive movement was really aimed at empowering people to take a stand and make their voice heard.

Did you ever think your campaign would spread nationwide? 

When I first started the initial planning, I had no idea it would go nationwide. My efforts with the campaign over the last few years have definitely been one of the highlights of my life.

How does it make you feel that you’re basically all over the Internet? (I read about you in Seventeen Magazine) 

It’s really quite surreal. I still can’t quite believe it! I’m so glad the message is getting out there.

You were named the Southern Region Youth Advocate of the year in 2013. Can you tell us a little more about that? 

I was named the 2013 Southern Regional Youth Advocate of the Year Awardee by the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids. I was also named the 2015 National Youth Advocate of the Year (YAYA).

How do you plan to continue spreading tobacco awareness?

The tobacco control movement has been a great passion of mine for a long time. On a national level, I will continue my work with the Not A Replacement campaign. Locally, I hope to continue the conversation about making this campus a healthier one.

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.