Katie Sarah Fitzgerald ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

On Tuesday April 21, 2015, SafeRide’s hosted The Maddys, a satirical beauty pageant that featured organizations across campus. The winners were Katie Sarah Fitzgerald and Courtney Brown of JMUs Bare Naked Ladies. Heres a little bit about the clubs president, Katie.

Year: SeniorMajor: PsychologyFavorite hobby: Sketching (while drinking coffee) and watching cat videos

If you could eat with any celeb or historical figure, who would it be? Karlie Kloss, absolutely. Karlie is an excellent representation of some of BNL’s ideals. Yes, shes a Victorias Secret model who doubles as Taylor Swifts best friend, but she also owns her own line of cookies (Karlies Kookies) that she sells for proceeds to benefit hungry children through FEED Projects, she partnered with Flatiron School for a scholarship program that awards girls across the country free tuition to a Software Engineering course, and did I mention shes leaving VS to finish her schooling at NYU? Every time I see her shes growing personally or in philanthropy. Inward and outward beauty are not reliant on one another and Karlies a great example of that.

What is your favorite thing about Bare Naked Ladies?Its the way it makes me feel. We all have the opportunity to be empowered. To feel confident, beautiful, and loved for just existing as we are. But sometimes that can be a really difficult feeling to find. This organization gives it to me all the time, especially through loving and accepting other people.

What does winning The Maddys mean to you? BNL taking the win at the Maddys is absolutely huge for us. We are a very young, very small organization on campus and each semester we grow a little more. We werent expecting to even place in the event because the winners were based on voting (so higher member attendance at the event meant higher chances of winning)thats not to say our amazing little group of girls werent there to support us the entire waybut honestly we were just happy to be participating in the event at all. The fact that we were able to pull first place I think speaks to just how powerful our mission really is. The things we want to spread around campus and in the communityacceptance, courage, love, positivitytheyre all values at the heart of JMU. Were hoping that the Maddys will help us get our name out there even more so that we can spread these principles even further, one girl at a time.

I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.