This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

All of my friends know that I love fall and am a bit addicted to makeup…and by “a bit,” I mean completely and totally obsessed. So if you can put two and two together, you will see that fall beauty is my forte. I just can’t get enough!  This fall, I dare you to go bright, go bold, and outside of your comfort zone to embrace all of th amazing seasonal trends!

Eyes
The gray and black smoky eye is back! So get out there and rock your best Kim Kardashian inspired look and you’ll not only be in style, but totally gorgeous! To see a video of Kim’s makeup artist applying her makeup step-by-step, check out this awesome link! I am happy to see this look come back into the spotlight this season. It is also accompanied by cat-eye liner, metallic and gold shadows, as well as unexpected pops of color. On the runways, each designer revealed fearless and edgy makeup. Your eyes are your most beautiful feature, accentuate them and play them up with these gorgeous color ideas for fall. 

Cheeks
As the weather gets cooler, make the transition from pressed powder and mineral blushes to cream ones. Cream blushes give you such a natural and dewy finish in the winter that is so beautiful and also helpful to avoid drying out the skin.  Go for either a rose-colored blush or a cherry red colored one. If you are going to go with a red lip one day, tone it down and go for rose cheeks. However, dark and bold red lips would be gorgeous with winged liner or a smoky eye. Lastly, the runways all featured models with beautiful bronzed glowing skin. If you want to learn more about keeping your summer glow into the fall, then check out this video from HerCampus JMU’s YouTube page!

Lips
The lip trends this fall are not only lovely, but also easy to achieve. With easy one-step applications, following lip trends are the easiest to do this season. Lip stains are all the rage, especially in rose and wine colored shades. Check out Tarte’s Lipsurgence, Clinique’s Chubby Sticks, and even Covergirl’s Nature Luxe Gloss Balms for a wide assortment of colors, formulas, and styles of the best lip stains on the market.

And for those of you who are deeply in love with Burt’s Bees? No problem! They too have their own tinted lip balms and stains. As for lipsticks, burgundy and deep reddish black colors are very popular. I’ve seen two possibilities for achieving this look: one is to actually use no lip liner at all and go for a simplistic and casual daytime red lip. The second, more daring trend, is to actually mix your black eyeliner with your red lip liner to create the perfect reddish black lip.

Hair and Skin Care
Fall is a crucial season to treat your body right and keep yourself looking fresh and beautiful.  Fall is the time where our hair and skin are trying to recover from the sun, salt water and chlorine of summer. In addition, we prepare to go into a season of snow, freezing temperatures, and dryness. It is so important to try and follow some simple guidelines that I promise will make a difference in your hair and skin health. What it comes down to is this: hydration, hydration, hydration! (Did you catch that?) I can’t stress it enough. Here are some quick tricks that I follow to keep my hair and skin looking their best:

·      Use a deep conditioning hair mask or cream. I love Aussie’s “3 Minute Miracle” Leave in Conditioner, “It’s a 10” Leave in Conditioner, and Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Cream. These will help your hair stay shiny and smooth, and help avoid split ends that often come as a side effect to damaged and stressed hair.

·      Have a glass of water just before you go to bed and right when you wake up. Keeping water next to your bed is such an easy way to remember to drink your 8 daily glasses. Having water before bed especially helps to hydrate your skin while you are sleeping.

·      Vitamin E lotion is your best friend for dry and cracked skin. As the weather gets colder, my best friend is CVS brand Vitamin E lotion. This stuff is possibly the most hydrating body butter I have ever come across. It is my saving grace for those days where my skin is super dry and in need of TLC.

·      Use a cuticle cream, foot and hand lotion, and Chap Stick every night before you fall asleep. I do this every night year round, but it is an especially important routine for the fall and winter months. This helps keep the areas most sensitive to damage and dryness completely hydrated and healthy.

I really hope you all enjoy these beauty trends and tips and that you can embrace this wonderful season. Go play with your makeup, try out some trends, and then go out and get a nice big mug of hot chocolate. Happy fall, collegiettesTM!

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.