I Went Brewery Hopping, Here’s How It Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Today was my best friends 21st birthday (shout out to you, Joe-HBD), naturally we had to go big.   We took a 45 minute drive and went brewery hopping!  It was a great experience, and I already made plans to go back in a couple of weeks! 

As the day started off, we had a game plan and a list of places we were going to hit!  They were all awesome and it was absoloutley BEAUTIFUL out there!

SILVERBACK DISTILLERY 

First we stopped at the one and only distillery of our trip! Here, there was a great variety of drinks with gin, vodka and whiskey!  Although it was the smallest place on our visit, it was still great!  They had some awesome drink combos you could get, and you can get mini ones to increase the amount you get to try! Only downfall is that they are legally only allowed to serve each patron 3oz of liquor per visit.  

BOLD ROCK HARD CIDER

Personally, I love ciders!  I’m not a huge beer fan, and didn’t know much before my trip today- so this was what I was most excited for. It was one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had!  There was an observation room where you can see the beer being made! A flight will only run you $6, so this place was a must see for sure!

DEVILS BACKBONE

This place seemed like the most fun one for sure!  There were a ton of people outside, and it is a BEAUTIFUL place to be.  There was a pretty large variety of beer here, and there’s a restaurant as well!  We ended up eating here and I loved it.  I 10/10 reccomend you all to get the vegetarian sandwich!  

BLUE MOUNTAIN BREWERY

This place was absoloutley stunning!  It was so serene!  It was so crowded, but there was a ton of indoor and outdoor seating along with both indoor and outdoor bars!  Here, theire flight consists of ten VERY different beers, and only costs $9.  Need I say more?  No?  Didn’t think so.  Oh yeah, one last thing… they have a chocolate coffee beer.  

After getting to experience the cool stuff in the beer world, I learned the following things: beer is actually awesome, you get to dress cute as hell, it’s pretty economical and it’ll take you a whole day.  Now I’m exhausted and I’m going to go to sleep (and by sleep, I do mean drinking some fantastic beer that was purchased today).