I Got Fake Nails for the First Time and This Is How It Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Hey collegiettes, my name is Edel and I got my nails done for the first time. Thanks to the Bare Naked Ladies, an organization at JMU that promotes self-love and body positivity, my friend Christy and I won a $20 gift card to get our nails done!

Getting them done

I never have gotten my nails done before so this was an exciting experience. Personally it’s not only the cost but I tend to paint my nails, mess them up, and call it a day. Since I had a gift card I decided to go all out and get acrylic nails.

My nails when I normally paint them on a (very) good day

I love having my nails long and square shape but as usual I always break my nail so it never lasts long. I was really excited to get acrylic nails. The process was super interesting and very relaxing for the most part. I never knew how much went into getting fake nails. The tools went beyond a nail file and remover.

The whole time I felt so out of place because I didn’t know what was going on, while  everyone else there seemed to have it on lock down.  Despite that, once I got them on and painted all I could think about is how pretty my nails looked.

First dilemma

Within the first few minutes under the nail dryer I managed to screw up the nail polish on my thumb. Sheer panic overcame me and all I could think was “Wow, I’m such a clutz.”

Luckily, I gained the guts to tell the manicurist that I messed up my nail and he fixed it up in a giffy.  I came out of the nail salon feeling like a whole new person.

After one week

The first few days were difficult because I never knew how much of a difference long nails made. It was a weird sensation. I felt like a dog with socks on. Every day tasks that I used my hands for felt strange, such as:

Texting

It was weird to hear the tapping of my nail on my phone and feel my nail touch the screen even when I used the palm of my fingers.

Showers

Lathering my hair felt weird when I didn’t use my nails. I never noticed how much I used the tips of my fingers to lather.

Opening bags of chips

This task was near impossible for me. I felt like I forgot how to use my hands. I had to have my friend open the small but mighty bag of chips for me.

Typing on a keyboard  

With my fake nails, typing felt more strenuous on my hand joints.

Conclusion

I ended up overcoming most of the obstacles I ran into. Overall, I enjoyed having fake nails and honestly I’d do it again if it didn’t cost so much to maintain. They made me feel like a boss a** b*tch.

Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.