How to Make Snow Cream!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It wasn’t until I transferred to JMU, and the snowy season arrived, that I discovered that snow cream was known by very few. And by few, I mean those that live anywhere south of Harrisonburg (which isn’t many!). Ask anyone north of Harrisonburg and you get puzzled looks, or at least that’s my experience.

I can’t image a winter without snow cream, and it’s mostly because it is such a simple recipe. It’s made with milk, sugar, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and SNOW of course! As far as measurements, I just add by taste.  Make use of the snow that we’ve had lately and throw a batch together. It may only be known by a handful of students, but those who try it are sure to love it!

MILK + SUGAR + VANILLA EXTRACT + NUTMEG + SNOW

Now there are many variations of snow cream, as you can see on Pinterest, and I’ve also discovered that Starbucks has their own too (i.e. a spin on the classic Vanilla Bean). But what is the fun if it’s as easy as pulling into a drive thru? Get your friends together and pass this recipe on!You are in the clear for this wintery season, but next year, just remember to avoid eating the first snow.

Hey Ya'll! Here at James Madison University I'm majoring in Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication and minoring in Family Studies. I'm just a student writing my way through college, and when I'm not busy doing that, I have my nose in a book. I couldn't make it through a day without Country music, and I love the OBX (it's Heaven on earth!).
I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.