How to Get Through the Week Before Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Realize that you only have 3 more weeks of the semester!!

I know this week seems daunting, but just think, once it’s over you only have three more weeks of stressing (including finals week). Think of this week as a last push before the power nap that Thanksgiving Break is. When you come back from break, the atmosphere at JMU will be different一packed libraries, studying to the max, and flustered students everywhere. So don’t be afraid to enjoy this week a little bit and appreciate that the end is near.

Don’t say no to “Friendsgivings” because you “have work to do.”

One of the best things about this time of year are the club-sponsored “Friendsgivings,” so don’t miss out because you’re too busy. Everyone is too busy.

This is your chance to get closer to the people in your clubs and to eat amazing food. Yes, you might be drowning in pre-break work, but that work will be there when you get back. Enjoy yourself for two hours and treat yo’ self.

Use your time wisely.

That being said, when you aren’t doing something fun, you should focus on getting your work done. This is definitely the least fun way to get through the week, but probably is the most important. The faster you get your work done, the faster you can get into full Thanksgiving mode.

Try not to think about Thanksgiving Break.

This one probably sounds impossible, but I’ve always found that the easiest way to get through a long work shift or a stress-filled week is to not think about time or days. Counting down the days may seem festive, but if you focus too much on the time left, you’ll no doubt start to go a little stir crazy when it’s Monday and it should be Friday.

So just crank through this week without concentrating so much on Thanksgiving and all the food that’s just around the corner. You’ll be pleasantly surprised on Friday when it’s time to go home.

Get plenty of sleep, eat healthy, and take care of yourself.

This one you’re hopefully doing all the time, but in stressful times you can sometimes sacrifice your health. This tip is super important before Thanksgiving Break specifically because chances are you’re about to eat 12 pounds worth of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and so much more. You have one week to eat all the home-cooked food you want, so maybe consider leaner options this week. Eating healthier and feeling your best this week will relieve some of the guilt you’re bound to feel next week.

Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.