How to Avoid the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Some of you pretty ladies have probably heard about gaining the dreaded “Freshman 15,” but don’t fret – there are many ways to avoid it! In fact, during my freshman year, I LOST 15 pounds. Here are some great tips and tricks to avoid that stressful weight gain.

First, make sure you scope out UREC! UREC has fantastic classes, and there is something for everyone. There’s everything from yoga to spin to swimming classes. After checking out the gym, set a workout routine in place to fit your schedule and treat it like a class. If you don’t have enough time to study and workout in a day, save some of the reading you have and take it with you to the gym to read while you’re on the machines. The time will pass much quicker and you’ll be using your time much more efficiently. Understand that it is OK to take a day or two off, but three days becomes a pattern and ultimately a habit.

If it’s difficult for you to simply workout for fun, try training for something. If you’re unsure of what to train for, be on the lookout for 5K races on campus. AND, if you’re unsure of how to train for a 5K, check out Halhigdon.com for training schedules/regimens. If you have a lot of free time, try to spend it at the gym or at least outside. The endorphins and fresh air help tremendously in maintaining a healthy level of insanity.

In addition to exercise, eating right is a must. While there are many delicious options for dining on and around campus, it’s important to remember balance is key. There’s no reason you should completely deny yourself that raspberry dessert bar from Mrs. Greens, but instead of reaching for a bunch of the biggest bars you see, try choosing one of the smaller ones and only one. That way, you are able to satisfy the craving but at the same time you’re not overdoing it.

Eating right doesn’t end with choosing dessert at the dining halls. It also comes into play when you’re studying. If you are a “snacker” look for fruit and veggies to munch on while working on other things. There are many alternatives to junk food that really do satisfy the cravings you may have.

Now that you have an idea of how to balance exercise, foods, and studying, have a friend be your accountability buddy. You will be able to work together to make sure you stay on track. Plus, it never hurts to have someone to keep you company when doing what may seem to be tedious after a while. Lastly, don’t be afraid to try new things! I became a peseatarian (no meat except for fish) after my first year of college because I found it was just a better for my lifestyle. While that may seem extreme, do not be afraid to explore your options, ask questions, and seek information about things you are curious about.
Hopefully this information was helpful, be on the lookout for more “Be Fit” tips throughout the year!

Have you ever thought "Am I the only one who..."? I'm sure you have, and I promise you're not. Live the life you love. I don't take things too seriously, because life is too short to be so obsessed with what everyone thinks of me. I became a writer so I could say what everyone else is thinking. I believe that treating others the way you want to be treated means you will never have to regret a decision you make. I make mistakes, but that's what makes great articles!
Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.