Gennie McDonough ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Year: senior

Major: Hospitality Management

Hometown: Sparta, NJ

Relationship status: single

So you’re in Student Ambassadors — what do you like about the organization?

Student Ambassadors do a lot for JMU just for the good of doing it. We don’t get paid for tours and we don’t receive any sort of benefit from the charitable work that we do. It’s really for the love of JMU and for fun. And the people are really cool.

What else are you involved in at JMU?

Last year, my friends and I made a team for Relay for Life and we raised over $1000.

What else do you do in your free time?

I like to read, go out with my friends, listen to music and sing a lot, and I love just chilling on the couch.

Why’d you decide to come to JMU?

I did not want to come to JMU. My uncle lives in Alexandria, VA, and when I was looking at schools he sent a link to my mom about JMU, and my mom forced me to come and look at it. We were on a tour and she was like, “Wow, you’d probably be a really great tour guide at St. Joes,” which is where I wanted to go, and I said, “I could see myself being a tour guide here.” And four years later, here we are.

What do you love about JMU?

I think I just love the feel of it, just the atmosphere. Sometimes when I walk on the Quad, I almost have a sense of euphoria because I love it so much. It’s such a homey place for me because I’m so comfortable. I have all my friends here and they’re more like a family. I also look really good in purple, and the gold goes with my hair.

What do you want to do after you graduate?

My dream job would be to be on Broadway, but I’ll probably work in an HR office somewhere for a hospitality company and work my way up the corporate ladder, and maybe be a CEO.

What’s a fun fact about you?

I loved the movie Kiki’s Delivery Service as a kid; I would watch it every day. And in the movie, Kiki has a black cat and his name is Jiji. But Jiji was super sassy and he could talk to Kiki, and I always really wanted my own Jiji. And a couple years ago, my family came home with the cutest black cat and he looked just like Jiji. And once, really spontaneously, I went and got a tattoo of Jiji. And everyone thinks it’s really crazy that I have a tattoo of my cat, but it’s a good back story.

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.