nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Complete Guide to Making Money at JMU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

By now, you’ve probably realized that college is expensive, and as much as you wish you could just do this…

…You might have to work a little harder. Here is a list of all the ways to make money at JMU, from the obvious methods to the ones you may not have considered.

On-Campus Jobs

If you’re not checking “joblink.jmu.edu” every day, are you even looking for a job? New positions are posted every few days so keep an eye out; you could find your perfect campus job! This is the simplest way to make money at school as long as you have the time.

Off-Campus Jobs

If you have a car and a somewhat free schedule, go to http://www.jmu.edu/stuemploy/ to find a great off-campus job in the Harrisonburg area!

Dining Services

Dining services jobs technically count as on-campus, but these work a little differently. Dining Services is always hiring and these jobs are a great way to work a good deal of hours. You can apply via www.aramark.com/careers

Become a Campus Rep

Lots of companies look for students to represent their brand on campus and will either give financial compensation or merchandise. Keep your eyes peeled for these opportunities!

http://www.hercampus.com/career/money/campus-rep-jobs-what-they-are-how-get-one

Selling Your Stuff

Have an old desk hutch from freshman year/other junk you’ll never use lying around your apartment? Join the JMU Facebook group “Free & For Sale” to sell your clothes, furniture, books etc. to other students!

Selling Clothes to Plato’s Closet

There is a Plato’s Closet conveniently located on East Market Street across from the Valley Mall that will buy your gently used/trendy clothes for cash! This is a great option when you realize that you packed way too much stuff for college that you will never wear.

Donating Plasma

Harrisonburg has a Biolife Plasma Services where people can donate their plasma (a component of blood) in exchange for a small amount of money put on a debit card. Many students do this to earn a little bit of spending money, but this is not a get-rich-quick method. If you are interested in this, do extensive research and consult your family/doctor before donating in order to make sure it is right for you.

Using Those Writing Skills

If you have skills in writing or journalism, you might be in luck! JMU’s yearbook “The Bluestone” offers a small salary to staff members who complete a certain amount of work per semester. You can also submit articles to “The Breeze” and get paid (a small amount) for those! Many online blogs or publications accept submissions for pay; maybe your favorite blog will pay to publish your work!

Be a Designated Driver

Pick a night to be a sober driver and tell your friends that you will be their chauffeur for the night for a small fee! They will be so grateful, they won’t even mind paying $5. Also, you will be helping the community!

*It is common for people to post their phone numbers on Facebook groups and advertise that they are charging for sober rides, but picking up strangers is not safe and should be avoided! Remember you are not SafeRides!

Learn How to Cut Hair

Invest in a pair of hair-cutting scissors and some clippers and learn the basics of hair cutting! Your guy friends will trust anyone to cut their hair if it means they don’t have to go somewhere to do it.

Share your money-making methods in the comments!

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.