absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Claire Merian ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: Claire Merian

Year: Junior

Hometown: Roanoke, Virginia

Major: Nursing

Relationship Status: Contently single

In a world of Top 40, Claire Merian is trying to break the musical mold. Having always had an appreciation for independent musical artists, Claire joined WXJM, JMU’s radio station, to promote local and lesser-known musicians. You can hear Claire’s show “What Do I Do Once I Graduate?” on Saturday nights from 8-9 p.m.

What are your top 3 favorite bands?

1.  No Joy

2.  (Sandy) Alex G

3.  Yo La Tengo

What does it take to be involved in WXJM?

Anybody can really be involved. We are a casual bunch and it’s really as simple as joining the Facebook group and asking to get trained as a DJ. After this, you are welcome into a warm community of local music enthusiasts.

What is it about music that sparks a passion in you?

I’d say it’s the ability for multiple people to relate, despite their different backgrounds and to feel a deep emotional pull at a simple combination of chords.

What do you like to do when you are not listening to music?

I really like to cook, especially Indian food. My dad grew up in Northern India and has given my family an appreciation for the culture and food of that region. I also like to read fantasy novels, which embarrasses me, but I think I need to own up to it. I am also a nursing major so I am often hitting the books or asking my roommates to let me take their pulse.

Besides music, what are your other passions?

I am very passionate about advocating for women, especially those who are under oppression or coercion, specifically those who are victims of sexual violence. As a nurse, I would love to provide quality healthcare to women in the human trafficking industry.

Where is your favorite place to travel?

The coast of Maine is kind of a second home for me. Whenever I go there, the beautiful scenery inspires me. I love to record my time there in video and I also enjoy the challenge of a good climb on the rocky cliffs.

Senior double majoring in Psychology and Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication. Lover of thick duvet covers, homemade soup, untouched snow, and all things literary. 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.