This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. Go to a Frat party

Yeah, the floor is probably soaked in mud (and who knows what else), the line for the bathroom is way too long and if you choose to drink, your choice is between cheap beer and mystery juice (whatever, it’s free). Go anyway, because at this time of year, the frat parties are at a high–everyone’s so excited to be reunited that they just go nuts. Be there.

2. Go to E-Hall brunch…and get everything

Scrambled eggs, French toast, sausage and bacon? All in one line. Pancakes and waffles made to order? Perfect. An omelet, with broccoli and spinach and extra cheese? Delish. Fruit parfait, to try and maintain that hot summer bod? Snag it. Unless you’ve been working on campus all summer, you’ve been deprived of a solid JMU brunch. Treat yo’ self. You’ve been deprived long enough.

3. Help out the freshmen

You’ll know who they are. They’re the ones walking around campus holding a mappy or their schedule, trying to look cool but failing to hide their utter confusion. Help them out–we’ve all been there. Remember their name and make them remember why they came to JMU in the first place.

4. Order Campus Cookies/Jimmy John’s/Chanello’s…WHATEVER!

Mmmmh, look at all that cheese! You know you missed the convenience. Ordering pizza at home just isn’t the same, and probably because you can’t order it at 2 a.m. Plus, the Jimmy John’s at JMU just seems to make better sandwiches. No one knows why, they just accept it.

5. Walk through the Arboretum

It’s still warm out, which means you can enjoy walking through campus without a scarf wrapped around your face and a parka. Take advantage of one of the nicest times of the year and walk through the Arboretum. Seeing the light stream through the trees and listening to ducks swim across the pond are two of the most peaceful things.

6. Have a reunion with all your friends

Last year, it was easier. Maybe you all lived in the same building or you met through an awesome organization. But with a new schedule, new commitments and (maybe) a new living space, it’s going to be harder to meet up this year. So do it now, early, and make it a habit before the semester really starts. Show these people that you’re willing to make time for them no matter what. Kick off the school year by kicking back with your besties.

7. Watch the sunset

Sure, the sun sets every day, so why do it especially now? There’s nothing quite like a Shenandoah Valley sunset, and the pictures you occasionally see on Instagram just aren’t as good as the ones in real life. Take a seat at the top of the ISAT steps or in front of Festival and feast your eyes on one of the most beautiful perks of campus: watching the sun set behind the mountains.

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.