7 Things Gen Ed Professors Just Don’t Get

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

If there’s one thing that makes less sense than taking Gen Eds, it’s the professors that teach them. Everyone has had at least one professor who takes class way too seriously; they usually have ridiculous rules and their expectations are higher than a middle-aged woman’s expectations for the Fifty Shades of Grey movie. Here’s a list of seven things we wish Gen Ed professors would just get.  

1. I’m not taking your class because I have a secret desire to learn the history of underwater basket weaving. I’m taking it because my advisor said I have to.

2. Despite your belief that the world revolves around Philosophy 101, I regret to inform you that I actually have four other classes to keep me occupied.

3. If you want me to stop falling asleep during your lectures, pick a more enticing subject. Sorry, but the statistical probability of dice rolling is not that interesting.

4. Is my absence from a 300 person lecture class really going to be that noticeable? Let’s be real here.

5. Being stuck in my dorm room with a 102 degree fever is a legitimate excuse for missing class. Do you really want there to be another casualty in World War Flu? Didn’t think so.

6. Your personal motto may be the early bird gets the worm, but not everyone loves being awake at 8 a.m.. Especially not hungover college students on Friday mornings.
7. You may have built an entire career around the secret history of Abraham Lincoln, but I’m not planning on doing the same. I think it’d be in both of our best interests if you’d stop telling me how essential your class is to my future.
Writer of words and animal sweater enthusiast.Twitter- @SydneyEsThierInstagram- @sydney_esther
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.