7 Fun Things to Do on the Quad!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Let’s face it – we’ve all seen some pretty strange things on the quad, ranging from cute (he proposed!) to streaking to “what is that guy doing with a bagpipe?!” But for the rest of us that don’t casually own a tight rope or hammock, here are some fun ideas for those beautiful spring days in Harrisonburg!

– Play an instrument

If you’re musically savvy, why not grab your instrument and channel your inner Taylor Swift? You’re sure to make a few friends in the process, even if you don’t exactly sound studio-ready.

– Have a picnic

Grab some friends between classes, bring your lunch, spread out a blanket, and indulge in the latest gossip. While you’re there, play a round of Apples to Apples or Taboo to get the laughter started!

– People watch
On a nice day, there are dozens of people chilling on the quad, and some of them can be pretty entertaining. On any given day, you can see an “extreme yo-yo artist,” a talented songwriter, or a sickeningly sweet couple. (Or, at the least, a few shirtless guys.) Hey, it’s called “Madison beach” for a reason! Marissa Estera, a Nursing major at JMU, says, “It’s fun to quad creep on boys…just, you know, not with binoculars or anything.”

– Relive your childhood

Sure, you could choose to act like a career-minded adult, but why would you want to when you could play whiffle ball instead? Blow bubbles, toss a Frisbee, throw a football, try your hand at cornholing, or kick a soccer ball- whatever sounds fun to you!

– Sunbathe

Few things in life are better than basking in the sun on a beautiful day. Hannah Berg, a Dietetics major at JMU, says, “Sometimes it’s really nice to just lie out on the quad to relax.” Just remember your J MADDY glasses and SPF before you roll out the blanket and blow off class! The goal is to look cute- not ready to be served at Red Lobster.

– Hang out
Take goofy pictures for Facebook, try Hookah, hula hoop- do anything you want! You could even unleash your silly side and LARP (“live action role-playing,” that is). To relieve stress on a lovely day, Sydney Byrd, a Spanish major at JMU, likes to “show YouTube videos to [her] friends.” Sydney also adds that massages and gymnastics create entertaining memories with suitemates.

– Find peace
If you’ve got a break between classes, why not set aside time for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? If that doesn’t appeal to you, catch some much-needed Z’s or finally get around to that dreaded GPSYCH essay you’ve managed to avoid. Dominique Escalera, a SMAD major at JMU, says, “I like sleeping and reading on the quad—my friend even painted her nails on the quad the other day.” The possibilities for relaxation are endless.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to enjoy the great weather while it lasts! Finally, you can break out those Daisy Dukes you’ve sadly stowed away since last semester and let the good times roll. Just make sure you still (cough) actually go to class. It may seem like torture to sit in GCOM when you have a view of people playing kickball, but the end is near!

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!