12 Things You Won’t Miss About Living in a Dorm (especially if you live in the Village)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1.  Sharing a room

Honestly, I wouldn’t even consider it a “room.” I’m pretty sure some of my friend’s closets in Copper Beech are bigger than this room. And don’t get me wrong, I love my roommate, but having my own room is going to be LIT.

2. Communal bathrooms

I willingly chose to live in a dorm for an extra year and every time I walk into the hall bathroom, I regret that decision.

3. No freedom

Being told when you can leave for and come back from breaks, having to check out for breaks, having to leave for two hours when there’s a fire inspection… just let me LIVE.

4. Everything about laundry

From having to pay for it, to walking a mile to the machine, doing laundry is the worst. I’m going to be so #blessed when I have a laundry machine a few steps from my room.

5. Having to wear shoes everywhere you go

Sometimes I just want to roam free, ya know?

*tip-toeing in my Jordans*

6. The fire alarm

You aren’t the worst person in the world until you burn popcorn at 1 a.m. and force everyone to evacuate the building.

7. No A/C12 Things You Won’t Miss About Living in a Dorm (especially if you live in the Village)

I’m naturally hot-natured. Unfortunately, so is my room.

8. The smell

These rooms smell awful. I think it has to do with the lack of air circulation due to no air-conditioning. But don’t worry, you aren’t even allowed to have candles to try and mask the terrible smell!

9. The closets

I’m pretty sure the trunk of my very, very small car is more spacious.

10. The lone microwave

Because that one, disgusting microwave from the year 1850, full of others people’s food and a mile away from your room, is super convenient.

11. Lack of a kitchen

I’m not a chef by any means, but sometimes I would like to use a stove to make myself food. Guess I’ll have to walk in a snowstorm and hope a place with food is open on campus.

12. Resident parking lots

If this is your second year on campus like me, and you thought having your car would make it a little less miserable, you’ve probably realized it doesn’t. With very few designated resident parking areas, wherever you think you want to go won’t seem worth it compared to the twenty mile hike it requires to even get to your car.

CAN’T WAIT FOR THAT OFF CAMPUS LIFE!

Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy!