10 Ways To Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

In October we wear pink! October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month where women all over the world participate in an annual campaign to raise awareness of the disease. There are many ways to support the cause, whether it’s through simply wearing your pink ribbon or making donations.

1. Wear a pink ribbon

The easiest one yet! If you are part of any student organization, this is something you and your whole team can get involved with. You can DIY the ribbons and wear them all month long to show your support. The pink ribbon is the Ultimate Symbol of Breast Cancer.

2. Donate

81% of spending done by the National Breast Cancer Foundation went to providing mammograms, breast health services, education, and support for those in need.

3. Host a fundraiser

From doing it online or hosting a campus event to setting up a bake sale, any donations are appreciated and can help save a life.

4. Walk the cause

Every year the American Cancer Society hosts an event called Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. You can volunteer to help out at the event or join in yourself!

5. Donate your hair

Losing their hair is one of the many realities women will face while battling breast cancer. With the help of different charities, notably Locks of Love, you have the ability to give cancer patients wigs full of luscious hair. Got a few extra inches that need snipping? Visit your local hair salon for more information about how you can get involved.

6. Dye a strand of hair pink

Already donated your hair? Why not incorporate a little pink into your style and flaunt pink locks?

7. Educate yourself

Whether you’re surfing the web, browsing the nearest library, or talking to a cancer patient, it’s important to gain knowledge about the disease. Know the real reason behind the pink season!

8. Learn how to do a self breast-examination

1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. Warning signs include a lump in the breast, a change in breast tissue, nipple tenderness or milky discharge. Even if none of these seem to be apparent, it’s always a good idea to perform monthly self breast-examinations.

9. Celebrate National Mammography Day

National Mammography day is the third Friday of October–a day meant to remind women to schedule their annual mammograms to help detect breast cancer early. Spread the word!

10. Give a gift to a cancer patient

A fairly simple way to get involved and put a smile on someone’s face!

If you want to learn more about breast cancer, want to donate, or want to host your own fundraiser please visit http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-awareness-month.

Remember, this isn’t only about the women who are currently battling cancer, but also about those who beat the cancer and those who lost their lives doing so. Share your hope and think pink!

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.