10 Life Lessons We Can Learn from Gossip Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Regardless of how cheesy or bad the acting can be at times, we all know that watching Gossip Girl just comes naturally with being a girl. It’s kind of like a rite of passage. In fact, I have yet to speak with a girl who hasn’t at least heard of GG (if you haven’t, more power to you—it’s addicting and definitely not on the top of my list for intellectual and mind-stimulating TV shows). Ironically enough, there’s some good messages hidden behind all of the sex, drama, and not to mention the gorgeous face of Ed Westwick…Here’s a few of ‘em:

1. It’s never too late to make a fresh start.

2. A true best friend is someone you can go to hell and back with…

…and still be there for each other in the end.  

3. Nothing good ever comes out of lying.

4. Not everything in life comes easily; sometimes you have to work for what you really want.

5. Tights are not pants (I had to).

6. At some point we have to learn that not all fairytales come true.  7. Natural beauty trumps cosmetic beauty.

8. There’s nothing wrong with putting away our pride and leaning on others for support.

9. A girl’s just gotta let her hair down every once in a while.

10. Falling in love can be risky, but the risk can make it all the more worth it in the end (especially with a guy like Chuck Bass).  

I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.