What to expect at your first JHU frat party, (and some tips)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

(PSA: None of the boys in this photograph actually go to Hopkins. I’m sorry)

Frat parties. You’ve heard of them of course; you’ve seen them in movies, read about them in magazines or books, and maybe even had a friend who’s been to one. But do you really know what to expect at your first frat party? I’m here to help!

1.     When you arrive, there will be one or two guys at the door. These guys are essentially the bouncers and are in charge of letting people in. For the first few parties, they might ask to see your Jcard because they don’t want any non-Hopkins people. They also might have an entry fee for guys, so make sure to warn your guy friends.

·      Tip: Make sure you don’t show up with lots of guys, because they will get turned away. It’s best to have a ratio of at least 3:1 girls to guys. Also, don’t show up in a massive group, that’s just overwhelming to the guys at the door and if the party is already full, they’ll turn you away.

2.     You will walk into the upper party. This is usually where people are just hanging out, playing pong, and drinking. There might be music, but it isn’t a dance-y vibe.

·      Tip: Get your drink here if you can. There are usually bars both upstairs and downstairs, but at the upstairs one it’s easier to speak with the bartender because you won’t have to yell over loud music. Your options include: beer, jungle juice, and—rarely—shots. Make a wise decision. Be really careful with the Jungle Juice—you never know what is in it. Usually it is juice or Gatorade with a mixture of alcohols like vodka and everclear with a super creative name like “red drink” or “yellow drink.” Beer is usually a good option because it is generally in a can. Granted, it’s Natty Boh, which isn’t delicious, but it’s safe and reliable (make sure you open the can yourself or watch them make the drink).

3.     Once you have your drink, head down to the basement. The basement is essentially a club. A sweaty, sticky, jam-packed club. It might seem overwhelming at first, but it’s fun! There is a student DJ, lights of some kind, and tons of dancing. What’s not to love?

·      Warnings:

o   You WILL get covered in sweat, if you dance for longer than 5 minutes. You will come out dripping with sweat. Don’t fight it—there’s nothing you can do but have fun.

o   The floor will be very sticky and dirty. Don’t wear expensive shoes or anything you care too much about.

o   Boys will come up to you and dance on you. Remember that you DO NOT have to dance with them. Always have a friend dancing across from you who you can signal to for help if you want to get away. She can then do the casual “I want to dance with my girl” move in which she pulls you away from said boy and begins to dance with you.

Once you leave the party, you’re ears will be ringing, you’ll be dripping sweat and probably very hungry, but you’ll want to do it all over again because (let’s be honest) frat parties are great. Happy fratting!

Photo Credit: http://deadline.com/2014/05/neighbors-amazing-spider-man-2-office-race-7…

Anastasia is a senior at Johns Hopkins University. She is majoring in writing seminars and minoring in marketing and communications. She is also a singer in JHU's only all female a capella group, the Sirens, and she is passionate about fashion, nutrition, and fitness!
Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.