Ryan Blake ’15, President of the Barnstormers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

1 Name: Ryan Blake

2. Major, year: English major, Psychology minor 2015

3. Hometown: Springfield, PA.

4. Affiliation: President of JHU Barnstormers

5. You can probably find me…At one of the many excellent theatrical productions on campus, rehearsing for one of said productions, or, possibly, finding time to do schoolwork in the library, as I’m currently reading Tolstoy’s War and Peace for a class and taking 23 credits.

6. The best thing about Hopkins is…My gut reaction here was to say the coffee toffee from Brody Café, but, if I were to answer thoughtfully, I would have to say the people that I have met in the theatre community. I am especially grateful to Eric Beatty for all of his help and kindness, and Michael Sheppard and Professor Peg Denithorne for fostering my passion of musical theatre, and helping me to improve as an actor and singer.

7. Something I’m especially proud of is…I saved this question for last, as I wasn’t really sure how to answer it. To be honest, I am quite proud of the fact that I’ve been able to play Sweeney Todd, Billy Bigelow from Carousel, Juror 7 in Twelve Angry Jurors, Garry in Noises Off! and myself in The Complete Works of William Shakespeare [Abridged] all before my senior year at Hopkins.  I’m hoping to add to that list this year, but knowing I’ve been cast in such wonderful roles, and have still had time to direct Freshman One Act plays, produce shows, and complete my studies is something of which I’m proud.  Also, in case you were curious, playing yourself onstage is very, very weird, but it was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my theatre career, thus far. 

8.Something most people don’t know about me is…Before college, I co-authored a book of poetry entitled A Common Thread: By Mother and Son which is available for purchase online, I earned nine varsity letters in high school, and I captained my high school baseball team to a state championship. After a career-ending injury to my pitching arm, I decided to focus on theatre.

9.This year, I hope to…Short answer – enjoy senior year. Long answer – get into a top ranked law school, sing my butt off in the spring musical, and help improve the theatre experience here on campus.

10.In five years, I will be…Working at a law firm in Philadelphia, and enjoying life as an attorney. That being said, I hope to continue my acting and singing career in some capacity, so one never knows…

11.Next up for me is…Co-directing a freshman one act play with the wonderful Elizabeth Sylvester – produced by the equally wonderful Allison Comotto!

Check out the JHU Barnstormers at http://www.thejhubarnstormers.org and look for Ryan around campus!