Odysseas Drosos, ’16, President of HopMUN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

1.     Name: Odysseas Drosos

2.     Major, Year: Chem BE, 2016

3.     Hometown: Thessaloniki, Greece

4.     Affiliated with: HopMUN, LEAD

5.     You can probably find me… in the Reading Room or yelling in a Model UN meeting.

6.     The best thing about Hopkins is… innovation. People are very open-minded here, and always ready to find out something new.

7.     Something I’m especially proud of is… when people in Model UN tell me it’s like their second family. I love that we could make that happen in a club.

8.     Something most people don’t know about me is… I listen to a lot of R&B music when I study. My favorite study song is One Republic’s “Something I Need.”

9.     This year, I hope to… graduate. But actually, I really want to complete my college experience, and not just academically. I want to commit to my clubs, explore Baltimore, and spend as much time with my friends. You never know how things will be after this, but we can make this most of this one year.

10. In five years, I will be… hopefully at med school. Well, actually just done med school. So hopefully a doctor.

11. Next up for me is… I’m doing a gap year. So I want to work in consulting for a year and save up for med school.

12. I began getting involved in Model UN… about 8 years ago. It was 9th grade, and the funny thing is I wasn’t extremely interested in it back then. My friend talked me into it. He ended up dropping after the first conference, and here I am 8 years later.

13. How my experience in HopMUN will help me in the future / help me achieve my goals… I think the most important thing is that it’s actually a very real world experience. You learn about politics, negotiating, how to find real solutions. People always ask if we’re just debating, but I always tell everyone that we should never be debating, we should always be negotiating. In real life, you never really debate with people. You have to negotiate. It’s very real-life politics.

14. The best part about being in HopMUN is… it’s a team. We don’t even call it a club, we always say team. We ask our members to put a lot of work into it, but we’re always there for each other. I always tell everyone if you’re not exhausted by the time the conference is over you’re doing it wrong. But I also always encourage them and tell them how great they’re doing when they’re working hard. We do a lot of things: we go to conferences, have social events, do fundraising, have forums with professors. It’s a lot of work, but making sure everyone gets a good experience out of it and feels like part of the team is very rewarding.

Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.