Love at First Flight: Relationship Reflections and Resolutions for the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

The Blue Jay Way to Soar Through Relationships.

With the New Year, you can’t help but reflect on all of the relationships or casual hookups you experienced during the past 12 months.

You broke up, you got back together.You fell in love, you fell out of love.

And if you’re anything like me, all of this romantic nostalgia can really make you think.

Maybe you started a new relationship with that cute guy from bio lab. Maybe you finally decided to join a dating site and had your fair share of spontaneous hookups.

Or maybe even, like in my case, you broke up with a long-term significant other and are now experiencing being single for the first time in a long time.

At first, the idea of being single can be daunting, intimidating and nerve wracking. After all, for the past few months your identity has been so closely linked with him or her. The two of you were a pair, a team incomplete without the other.

But in time, that once scary idea of being single becomes a little less unsettling.

Being single can be an incredible mental journey. With nobody to care for but yourself, the idea of total independence that comes with being alone can strengthen your inner character and cause you to develop an even stronger sense of self.

You learn what is best for you and what you really want from life. You learn to trust your inner intuition and become even more in touch with your emotions.

2015 may be over, but a hopeful and promising 2016 awaits.

With your newfound independence, nothing can stand in the way of you creating the best version of yourself this upcoming year. 

Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.