The Inside Scoop on Sorority Life: To Rush or Not to Rush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Joining a sorority was probably the best decision I’ve ever made regarding college. I went into college knowing that I wanted to join a sorority and fall semester freshman year just reinforced that for me. The transition to college life may be easy for some, but for me, it was tough. You go from a high school where you’ve known people since you were a kid and you recognize the majority of the people there to a university where you are one in a thousand. I remember walking from the FFC to class and not recognizing the majority of the faces. Sure I had my acquaintances and my core group of friends, but from there it stopped. Walking around campus the people I saw were strangers. I’m not that independent of a person so if I couldn’t get my friends to do something with me I wouldn’t do it. I also am a naturally cheerful person and I love to say hi to people, so walking across campus not recognizing anyone was kind of depressing. This was one of my main motivations for joining a sorority. I wanted to walk across campus and see people I knew, people who would care enough to ask how I was doing or who were genuinely interested in hearing how my day was going.

I can be kind of shy when I first meet people, and let me tell you Bid Night during Rush was overwhelming. I was so nervous, wondering which sorority I would get, if they would like me, and I was also wondering where my friends would end up. It turned out that I was the only one of my friends to go Kappa. That night I was shy and probably really awkward, but instead of ignoring me and letting me slide through the cracks I remember that night two girls coming up to me at separate times, pulling me aside and asking me if I was okay. They saw that I was overwhelmed and since I was a new sister they wanted to make sure I was okay. Shout-out here to Vi Nguyen and Amelia Mumford because that was one of the first moments I realized what sisterhood was. It’s a bond that links you no matter how well you know the person.

So have there been times that I’ve regretted being in a sorority? Yes. Rush is tough, but recruitment is harder. No matter how hard we try to make it better, and we do, there is a lot of judgment that goes on. I think Hopkins does a better job of this since we rush in the spring. That means there is a whole semester for us to get to know the potential new members and for you to get to know us. But if you don’t come to the meet-the-sister events or we don’t meet you before rush that means that I don’t know you and I have to go off of what my sisters say to decide if you would be a good fit for my sorority or for another one. It is so hard. I don’t care that I stay up to 2am voting on girls or that we stand on our feet for hours singing and talking to new girls. I want to get to know you and I can’t wait to invite those new girls into my sorority. It just sucks when you have to vote on someone you don’t know.

There’s a quote that goes around about sorority’s that I’ve heard a lot of people laugh or scoff at (even those who are in a sorority): “On the outside looking in you can’t understand it, from the inside looking out you can’t describe it”. That’s the gist of the quote. But it’s true. I’m trying my hardest to describe it to you, but I know a lot of people will read this (if a lot of people read this) and just think I’m being cheesy. Judgment. That’s something you’ll face a lot of. Personally, it doesn’t bother me. I love being in a sorority and people can laugh or have whatever opinions they want about it. I love it and it’s made my college experience infinitely better.

Another great thing about being in a sorority is your network expands. When I was asked to write this article, I decided to get perspective on all the ups and downs of sorority life by asking the other sororities for help. Here are some great answers:

Do you have any advice for girls who are thinking about recruitment?

“I think everyone should sign up for recruitment. I had no intention of joining a sorority or even going through recruitment until my friends forced me to sign up. My sorority has introduced me to over 60 girls from my year who I did not know before and girls from other years. They’ve advised me on classes and tutored me when I needed help. There is always someone to run to Tamber’s with or go to the mall to pick up a costume for a crazy mixer theme. I’ve met so many wonderful girls and so many people through my sisters.  My social circle has really expanded and showed me that the Hopkins community is full of amazing people. In addition, I’ve met a ton of girls in other sororities through my friends in other sororities.”  (Alpha Phi, Junior)

“Don’t focus on the reputations you find on Greek rank or what you’ve heard through the grapevine. Choose the sorority where you think you’ll make the most friends. It doesn’t matter if it’s the ‘bottom’ sorority or the ‘top’, if you don’t like the people you’ll not have as good an experience.” (Kappa Alpha Theta, Sophomore)

“I think it’s something everyone should try out. It’s one of those things you can only do in these next four years. If you decide you don’t like it then you can always drop out. But don’t deny yourself this opportunity because it could end up becoming something really remarkable.” (Pi Beta Phi, Junior)

What do you like the most about sorority life?

“The friendships that come with sorority life are ones that you will keep with you throughout your life’s endeavors.” (Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sophomore)

“The support system…It’s great knowing you have 100+ girls behind you.” (Phi Mu, Sophomore)

“I like having a group of people that I can say hello to around campus and feel comfortable around.” (Kappa Alpha Theta, Senior)

What do you think are cons to being in a sorority?

“The superficialities that govern recruitment and competition between sororities.” (Kappa Kappa Gamma, Junior)

“I think people are quick to generalize sororities–i.e. say the girls in whatever sorority are snobby–but in reality, it’s virtually impossible to make a statement about 100 girls. The generalizations are irritating.” (Pi Beta Phi, Sophomore)

“Some people have preconceived ideas about sororities and the types of girls that join them. These stereotypes can often paint all sororities in the same (sometimes negative) light, when in reality each group of girls is unique from the next.” (Phi Mu, Sophomore)

What is something you were looking forward to about sorority life?

The parties, and the sheer number of girls you can always count on to have your back.” (Alpha Phi, Senior)

“Getting my own little and secret week!” (Phi Mu, Sophomore)

“Getting the opportunity to mentor other students.” (Kappa Alpha Theta, Senior)

What is something that surprised you about sorority life?

“We actually do so much volunteering work which was a great surprise!” (Pi Beta Phi, Sophomore)

“There’s definitely some competition in there, especially with Greek Week. What surprised me more was how much I loved it! I don’t play a sport and I’m not someone who really competes for grades, so my sorority getting really into it was a chance for me to experience some healthy competition.” (Phi Mu, Sophomore)

“The immediate acceptance and connections formed was surprising.” (Kappa Alpha Theta, Sophomore)

“I am surprised by how official and serious the procedures and rituals are.” (Kappa Kappa Gamma, Junior)

I hope this article helps you make the decision to rush. You honestly won’t know if it will be the right fit for you until you do it and you really don’t have anything to lose, but so much to gain. A network of wonderful women and friends, a family within your sorority, mixers, date parties, and volunteer opportunities. You have the opportunity to find another family at college and I hope you take advantage of it.