Hopkins Pre-Med Culture and Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Johns Hopkins University is known for producing some of the most qualified medical school applicants who, with their rigorous education in the sciences, their involvement in research and service, and their overall presence on campus and in Baltimore communities, demonstrate their dedication to their future as medical professionals with every aspect of their beings. However, the Hopkins premedical culture is also notoriously recognized as stressful and destructive to the point of interfering with a student’s ability to maintain a healthy standard of living. As a sophomore pre-med, I have felt the pressure associated with pre-med culture at Hopkins, and I believe it has a detrimental impact on my mental and physical health. 82.95% of Hopkins premeds also report they have experienced a decline in their mental health in a recent poll taken by 431 undergraduates. [1] Consequently, I have to wonder which factors create this mentally taxing atmosphere, why it has such a huge influence on myself and my peers, and if anything can be done to alleviate some of the stress.

Once factor affecting the Hopkins pre-med culture is the prevalence of pre-med “myths.” Chemistry major Kathryn Champ ’16 explains that the “most stressful part” of being a pre-med is “getting the high grades…in classes that you don’t want to take” but do take in order to fulfill requirements. [4] Especially with the rumor of the infamous 3.7 GPA “needed” to get into medical school looming over transcripts, students are becoming less concerned about learning and more obsessed with getting a 3.7. Many Hopkins students, especially underclassmen, are shocked to learn that the average GPA of medical school applicants from Hopkins is a 3.5 while the average GPA of those accepted is a 3.6. [5] Others are thrilled—this lower GPA is a perk of going to Hopkins. Myths concerning “what medical schools want to see” make the acceptance process seem less holistic to students and consequently discourage pre-meds, making them question if they’re cut out for their career choice after all.

Of the 1,420 students in the incoming JHU class of 2018 alone, 39% indicated (on an entrance survey) a definite interest in pursuing pre-health studies, and an additional 23% indicated they might be interested. [6] Even though these numbers are expected to drop each semester, JHU’s reputation attracts anyone with even the slightest interest in becoming a doctor. Naftali Horwitz ‘17, a Molecular and Cellular Biology major and “definitely not a pre-med”, goes as far as to say that “pre-med goes with Hopkins.”[7] Unfortunately, this means that the pre-med subculture is practically inescapable due to its presence on campus, and the Hopkins name only amplifies it each year.

In 2009, there were 323 first-time applicants to medical schools, and in 2014, that number increased to 389 first-time applicants. For the upcoming round of applications in the year of 2015, the pre-health advising office is preparing for more than 400 first-time applicants. [8] Though these numbers exclude those students applying a second or third time, they clearly show the growth of the premedical population at Hopkins in recent years. Considering the massive number of Hopkins graduates entering the field of medicine each year and the evident growth of the program, it is important to consider the mental state of the Hopkins students going through a premedical education.

A recent poll taken by 430 undergraduates says that 89.30% of pre-meds experience a large amount of stress, 85.58% exhibit a fear of failure, 79.07% feel inadequate, and 77.21% have developed anxiety. Only about 20% of these pre-meds say that these factors do not interfere with their academic performance, and an additional 44.65% say they suffer from depression. This last statistic is the most alarming one, especially considering that almost half of the students who indicated they exhibited one or more of the above conditions did not indicate they had utilized campus resources such as the counseling center to address these concerns. [9]

Despite efforts of the pre-professional advising office and the emphasis placed on the holistic approach to medical school acceptances, Hopkins pre-meds can’t seem to stop obsessing over grades, MCAT scores, and filling their resumes with medical and research experiences. Because this general mindset is unlikely to change due to the kind of students Hopkins attracts, the only thing that can be addressed is the stigma surrounding mental health at Hopkins. In response to the death of student Yangkai Li earlier this year, Preston Ge ’17 wrote, “If we avoid talking about mental health until a student dies, we fail as a community. Remaining silent perpetuates the stigma surrounding mental illness. It marginalizes the problem rather than addressing it.”[14] The office of pre-professional advising is in the position to start a discussion, as it has already been actively involved in bettering the lives of the premeds on campus.

When students realize that they are not alone, it makes coping with academic struggles easier. Like the PILOT program, pre-med-specific peer advising may begin to just aid those who seek more approachable ears. However, it could eventually gain momentum and grow to be a prominent group on campus and an acknowledged, more accessible resource on campus for pre-meds.

It is clear that the mental health of Hopkins pre-med students is in need of improvement, and I think with a few small changes, we can greatly impact pre-med culture for the better. If the pre-professional advising office seizes the opportunity to implement changes that help pre-meds maintain a healthy standard of living while they study at Hopkins, it will also strengthen the quality of the program as well the quality of the next generation of doctors.

Bibliography

1.     Espinosa, Sofia. “Hopkins Pre-med Culture and Mental Health.” Survey. Surveymonkey.com. Web. 4 Nov. 2014.

2.     Personal interview by author.

3.     “2015 for Students – Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) – Applicants – Students.” 2015 for Students – Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) – Applicants – Students. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Oct. 2014.

4.     Personal interview by author.

5.     Statistics for Hopkins Pre-Professional Advising. ND. Raw data. N.p. Numbers obtained through interview with Dr. David Verrier from the Office of Pre-Professional Advising from an entrance survey taken by incoming students.

6.     Statistics for Hopkins Pre-Professional Advising. ND. Raw data. N.p. Numbers obtained through interview with Dr. David Verrier from the Office of Pre-Professional Advising from an entrance survey taken by incoming students.

7.     Personal interview by author.

8.     Statistics for Hopkins Pre-Professional Advising. ND. Raw data. N.p. Numbers obtained through interview with Dr. David Verrier from the Office of Pre-Professional Advising from an entrance survey taken by incoming students.

9.     Espinosa, Sofia. “Hopkins Pre-med Culture and Mental Health.” Survey. Surveymonkey.com. Web. 4 Nov. 2014.

10.  Personal interview by author.

11.  Statistics for Hopkins Pre-Professional Advising. ND. Raw data. N.p. Numbers obtained through interview with Dr. David Verrier from the Office of Pre-Professional Advising from an entrance survey taken by incoming students.

12.  “Guide One: Pre-Med and Pre-Health Planning at JHU.” 2014. http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/Forms/Guide One.updated MASTER.pdf.

13.  Personal interview by author.

14.  Ge, Preston. “Johns Hopkins’ Mental Health Crisis.” JHU Politik -. October 26, 2014. Accessed November 6, 2014.

15.  Espinosa, Sofia. “Hopkins Pre-med Culture and Mental Health.” Survey. Surveymonkey.com. Web. 4 Nov. 2014.

16.  Espinosa, Sofia. “Hopkins Pre-med Culture and Mental Health.” Survey. Surveymonkey.com. Web. 4 Nov. 2014.

17.  Ofri, Danielle. “Scared Witless.” In What Doctors Feel: How Emotions Affect the Practice of Medicine, 73. Boston: Beacon Press, 2013.

18.  Ofri, Danielle. “Scared Witless.” In What Doctors Feel: How Emotions Affect the Practice of Medicine, 74. Boston: Beacon Press, 2013.