Campus Cutie, Valerie Singletary, “Miss Val”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Full name: Valerie Singletary

Hometown: Baltimore, MD

You can probably find her: At the Rec Center, my home away from home.

The best thing about Hopkins: The people, especially the students. I love my students, and they love me.

How have you seen JHU change in the time you’ve been here: I’ve only been at Hopkins for three years now, but in that time I’ve seen a lot of improvements made on the campus and in the community. I especially like when the campus gets involved in community outreach. That’s something important to me.

Something coming up that I’m excited for: Always the students commencement. It makes me proud to see the younger generation meeting their goals and advancing in life.

Being born and raised here, tell us what you love about Baltimore: Baltimore has some great events. From the Star-Spangled Sailabration to annual festivals like Artscape and HonFest, there is always something exciting happening in this city.

Something most people don’t know about me: I’m retired military. I did twenty years in the US Navy, working in Intel.

How was your life changed by joining the military: It shaped me a lot, as a matter of fact. I’m from a military family, my father was an officer in the Navy. With my father being enlisted and my mother passing when I was only 9, my siblings and I were left to be raised by an abusive grandmother. Despite being a middle child, life was not peaches and cream. I had to grow up fast to protect and take care of my siblings. Cooking and cleaning was something I learned at a young age. Life became survival of the fittest at home, which led to a life of  survival of the fittest on the streets. Joining the military literally took me off of the streets of Baltimore.

How has your time in the military shaped who you are today: It allowed me to value life more and to create a better life for myself and my family. I got to leave Baltimore and see the world. I spent a lot of time over in Europe, so I got to see Sicily, Spain, and Greece. I also got to go to Turkey and Israel, and throughout Africa. That exposure to people and lifestyles so different from my own allowed me to develop as a person and appreciate life. I loved mingling with people in each new place I visited, learning a little of their language and culture. It gives you a newfound appreciation for life, learning other people’s stories and seeing what others do without. Without that experience, who knows where I’d be now. It truly taught me to want something better.

What’s the most important thing in your life: Family. Always family and friends. I’ve always had a big family. I grew up with four sisters and four brothers, and now I have five kids, three sons and two daughters. When you’re surrounded by people you love, there’s always someone around at the end of the day, to talk to, vent to, whatever it is you need.

Relationship status: You’ll have to ask her in person!

What’s up next for you: Who knows! I’m enjoying my retirement, and I’d like to travel more if that’s in the cards for me.

Words of wisdom to share with the students: Life is still a struggle, but, good or bad, I’ve learned to take time and smell the roses.

Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.