4 Ways to Show Your JHU Pride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

It’s no secret that Johns Hopkins has become a home for many of the world’s most brilliant minds. Every day, the campus buzzes with students and faculty discussing different research projects, papers, and plans for the future. And sure, our impressive world of academia has been our claim to fame across the country and all over the globe. But how much appreciation do we really show to our beloved Homewood? Here are just a few ways we can show just how much Hopkins really means to us.

1.Attend Sporting Events

It’s clear we’re no Ohio State or Ole Miss, but that doesn’t mean we can’t cheer on our sports teams like the winners they are. Don’t let the DIII title on the majority of sports discourage you; Hopkins has some spectacular athletics! Our women’s soccer, volleyball, men’s basketball, cross country (men’s and women’s), track and field (m/w), and tennis teams were Centennial Conference Champions just last year. And of course, our DI men’s and women’s lacrosse teams have just moved into the Big Ten conference and will be playing in it for the first time in 2015.

So take a study break and support on your fellow Blue Jays on the field. Go Hop!

2.Wear Hopkins gear

Or even just the colors! There are few things worse than watching students clad in sweaters and shirts from other schools past stroll past campus tours. Take pride in your school, you’re here for a reason! Look out for free t-shirts at different events so that you can stock your wardrobe with a variety of school gear.

3.Join a club or organization

School spirit comes in many different forms. From pepping up the student body with the cheerleading team to repping it with the student government, there are hundreds of ways to get involved and build up the Hopkins community. Plus, you’ll almost always get a shirt out of it to walk around campus with (see tip #2).

4.Get involved off-campus

School spirit doesn’t have to stay within the “Hopkins bubble.” Taking the time to reach out to others around the city just shows how awesome our students are. Remember that the rest of the world is still there and Hopkins students have so much to offer it. Be proud to represent your school as you give every internship, job, and volunteer project 100% and do your part in making the Hopkins name synonymous with hard work and dedication.