10 Ways to Spend Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Winter break is almost here!!! It’s so close with only one week of classes left, and yet so far away with all the finals and assignments we have to complete before then. It’s so great to be home after a stressful semester, but after about a week, it does get pretty boring just sleeping in all day, everyday. So here are some ways to spend winter break after you’ve had some time to distress and be with family.

•  If you’re pre-med (which most of JHU students are), you can shadow a doctor to keep building up your résumé and experience.
  • You can also spend some time volunteering with friends at a local organization.
  • Applications for summer programs (research, study abroad, etc.) have been released and this is the perfect time to fill those out.
  • If you think you’ll get tired of being at home, you can come back to Hopkins and take a fun intersession class, like wine tasting (if you’re over 21)!
  • You also now have the time to finally binge-watch all the episodes of your favorite show (if you haven’t already) and start 20 new shows too!
  • If your disdain for some of your fall classes is strong enough, why not have a bonfire and burn all youe notes while roasting ooey-gooey marshmallows and making s’mores!
  • Now back to reality, we still need to pass our spring classes so reading the first couple chapters for a couple of our harder classes would not be a bad idea. 
  • We all know Spring Fair is a great weekend at Hopkins in the spring and it can get pretty expensive, so maybe take up some odd jobs like babysitting and tutoring so you can have all the “chicken on stick” and fried Oreos you want.
  • Take a mini vacation with some friends: maybe a trip to the beach or skiing down some slopes.
  • Ultimately, the best way to spend winter break is by having fun, whatever that means to you. Lord knows we worked our butts of during the fall and we will in the spring, so we should make the most of the time we have in between.