Why You Need to Watch Atypical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

One of Netflix’s newest original series, Atypical, centers around the story of a high school boy who is on the autism spectrum. The show’s title is in reference to how most people on the spectrum, and some people who judge them, feel like they can never be “normal.” This concern is brought up in the first episode when the main character, Sam, says to his therapist that he’ll never have a girlfriend. She explains to him that people with autism can still date and find love. The rest of the first season follows Sam’s journey from learning pick up lines, to asking his dad for advice, to looking at the girls around him differently as he tries to figure out this world of dating that he never considered before.

The reason I find this show so intriguing is that it is suck great representation of the good and bad sides of autism. It’s not something that is talked about often in shows, and for people on the spectrum to have a character that they can so clearly identify with now is fantastic. The writers who work on the show all have first or secondhand experience with autism, which makes for a more accurate, less offensive, and more helpful look at what it’s like to be on the spectrum. The message this show portrays is that although we have differences, there’s a lot more that we all have in common than most people think.

The way that the rest of the characters interact with Sam also teaches the audience a lesson in the pros and cons of loving someone with autism. His family and friends are sometimes exposed to Sam’s breakdowns, which can be upsetting, but they adjust their behavior to make him more comfortable and to make everyone’s lives easier. I think Atypical does a great job of normalizing the effects of autism in everyday life. As a viewer, you start to notice patterns in Sam’s behavior that make you feel like you know him personally. Just like everyone else, there are thigs that bother him, things that comfort him, and all it takes is some patience and attention to detail to manage these changes.

The show also has its fair share of drama, mostly surrounding his family. There are things going on in background, some of which Sam is aware of and doesn’t fully understand, and some of which Sam has no idea about. His mother, through very compassionate and understanding of Sam’s abilities, is hurting in her own personal way and makes bad choices to cope with her personal issues. I think it will be interesting to see how these scandals progress into the next season, and to see how Sam reacts to it all. The writers have me hooked on this character and I’m eager to see what they come up with next.

Anna McFadden

Jefferson '19

.