This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

For almost every college student these days, social media is something we interact with several times daily, if not hourly. It’s almost like an addiction, checking back constantly to see what’s going on. While it’s fun to post a great selfie on Instagram or to see your friend’s funny Snapchats, sometimes it can feel like a lot to always be inundated with pictures and places from someone else’s life. If it makes you feel overwhelmed, it might be time to try and take a break from your screen. Here are some ideas for how to make that happen.

1: Make sure your phone isn’t a #1 priority.

A lot of us probably look at our phones as the last thing we do before sleeping and the first thing we do when we wake up. One easy way to take a break is to stop doing this! Give yourself a space of 10-15 minutes at the end and beginning of your day to just relax or wake up. Find some other way to wind down at the end of your night and maybe use your extra time in the morning to make a nice breakfast.

2: Get back into reading.

Several people I know, including myself, realize that the amount of time spent reading a book for fun went way down after starting college. With so much else going on it feels hard to sit down and just read something you want to read. Instead of firing up Twitter when you’re bored, grab something off the bookshelf and cozy up in bed to read a few chapters.

3: Give yourself a limit.

If looking at social media is what helps you relax or makes you the most happy, try giving yourself a little bit of a time limit on what you consume. Tell yourself “in 10 minutes I’ll start homework” or whatever will work for you. This way you won’t find yourself aimlessly scrolling through Facebook for an hour.

4: Take up a hobby.

This could either be something brand new or a thing that you used to love doing when you were in middle school. Having another outlet to use when you want some down time could be beneficial. It will be something different for you to do and learn while you’re taking a break.

Kellyn Kemmerer

Jefferson '19

Senior Textile Materials Technology student from a small town in Northeastern Pennsylvania. You can find her watching Food Network or funny cat videos, making lengthy Spotify playlists, window shopping, writing, and reading.