This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Having a loved one in the military is not an easy task. The feeling of missing them while they’re away is constant and although they could be allowed to talk to you on the phone, it is never enough compared to the feeling of their presence physically with you.

Someone whom I have much love for, is currently serving as a Marine. He is one of the hardest working people I have ever been given the privilege to meet throughout my life. During the early stages of becoming a Marine, he went through Bootcamp for three months and Marine Combat Training for a month, in which he was not allowed to have any kind of communication other than writing letters to loved ones. Those months were the slowest months of my life. It felt like each day had extra hours added on to it and the feeling of being alone was constant. He is now currently in Oklahoma for a month and will be on his way to California after for an unknown period amount of time.

Although I miss him every day, I try to keep myself occupied with school activities and by surrounding myself with positive friends and family. By getting to understand what it truly feels like for a soldier to be away from the people that love them, it has also taught me to appreciate those around me more. I’ve learned to savor each event in life and to be kindly show others how much they mean to me through actions.

Currently in Oklahoma, he can use his phone after work which is around 6 p.m. to 12 a.m., however, he does have formations and other tasks to complete through those times as well. Through Skype, Google Hangout, and Imo, we have been able to keep in contact and update each other on our days. Our conversations typically last about one and a half to two hours before we both must study or get other tasks done. Throughout all this, I make sure to send him pictures of what I’m doing through the course of my day, so he can feel a part of it as well.

When someone is in a long-distance relationship with their significant other, it is important to show them how much they still mean to you regardless of the distance between. Having each other allows us to motivate one another regardless of the different ways we both experience being under pressure and stress. Although it can be difficult to feel wanted when our schedules do not always correlate with one another, trust and love are extremely important for things to work out in the end.

PC:neverwhatyouthink.com