This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

It is easy to get caught in the stressors of everyday life, whether it be the alarms that we wake up to each morning, the to-do lists we fulfill, or the responsibilities we claim, it is difficult to find time in our busy schedules to take a moment and ‘smell the roses,’ if you will. As a native New Yorker, I have essentially fallen victim to the dreaded ‘rat-race.’ Whether it be following the same routine at school and then heading to work, or completing the same household tasks every day, life does not slow down by any means for anyone or anything. Although that statement is frightening to some, it is also comforting, knowing there is always room and time to move forward and learn from your mistakes and better yourself as a person.

Physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing is what defines you, for your actions have consequences and your response to situations affects your overall mood. Stressful situations that are left unresolved can lead to many mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. It is important to recognize how the choices in your life affect your story, and how you interpret events in your life contribute to who you are as a person. Depending on your personality, interests and hobbies differ among all people, but having the ability to compromise and coexist with others who do not share the same interests as you is one way to mentally destress.

At least once a day for five minutes, try and participate in an activity that you enjoy. Whether it be meditation, painting, listening to music, these trivial things can lift your mood instantly and provide a temporary relief to anything that might be plaguing your mind. Mentally, your thought processes will feel less clouded and you will feel more focused on the task at hand. Taking the time to watch a movie, to drink your favorite drink, or to enjoy spending quality time with family and friends are some options to improve your mental status. While it is extremely difficult to maintain positivity, knowing it is achievable and that happiness is real are important tips to live by. Life may not always be the best, but knowing it will get better with the help of the people you love, medication, and talking to a medical professional can balance out your feelings.

Exercise is important, and when you’re feeling depressed, one of the best methods to relieve sadness is a great workout. While many people associate dieting and exercise as exhausting and even difficult to maintain, ingesting healthy and nutritious food as well as partaking in physical activity can reduce your chances of having a stroke or heart attack, improves your quality of sleep, and helps keep your overall weight under control. Getting a proper amount of sleep, staying hydrated, and eating well are crucial factors to physical well-being and will raise your energy levels. A healthy body and a healthy mind are synonymous with one another.

Despite all of the troubles our world faces daily, it is crucial to take the time to take care of yourself. “Self-care is a priority and necessity, not a luxury, in the work that we do.”

PC: NEDA

Cover Photo: Janelle Silver

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis